Router speed for raised panels

Page 1 of 3
I am planning to make some raised panel doors from pine and other softwoods. My router has a minimum speed of 15,000 rpm. I am using the Freud cabinet bit set with a 3.5" raised panel bit. Is this speed safe? There is no information on the Freud site concerning this.
Thank in advance
Sean
NO. 10,000 is what you want. At 15,000 your router bit tip speed is near 230 mph. At 10,000 the tip speed is near 153 mph. It is you safety more than anything that you should be concerned about here.

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 22:27:40 GMT, "Leon"

Leon makes good sense.
I once had a salesperson tell me that at in a fixed speed router, the tip was turning at 30000 RPM if the shaft was turning 23000. <G>
Barry

Musta been gear drive ..LOL
Sales folks are the same everywhere, no matter what walk of life. I guess there's only maybe two or three that I really have ever felt were in it to help people....and they were successful salepeople because of that character trait.
wrote:

than
Leon wrote:

This begs the question: why would one choose a standard raised panel bit over a vertical raised panel bit? Yeah, you have to put the wood through on edge, but I would think that a decent fence should make that a wash. It seems as though the same profiles are available in either standard (or are they called horizontal?) or verticle bits.
http://tinyurl.com/6nkgf
Surely I am missing something here, not having used either style.
Mike

Many pieces or doors with raised panels also have decorative curves. These curves can only be done with a horizontal bit

to have the bearing to follow a curved edge.
there are other ways to raise a curved panel, but the bearing on the panel raising cutter is probably the easiest.
Listen to Leon, Sean.
David
Sean wrote:

Listen to Leon and David.
I had the same problem. I tried using the panel raising bit (it was a Rockler bit, not a Freud but that shouldn't matter much) at the high speed and it scared the crap outta me. I went out and bought one of those electronic speed controllers and I would say only that it worked well enough to get me through that one job. If at all possible, get yourself a variable speed router.
Wayne

NoOne N Particular wrote:

Even when I run mine at the recommended speed it still scares me.
Makes a very "interesting" sound when she spins up ...
Reminds me of my tool vendor who tells the story about a customer who forgot to lock her down in the collet and the 3.5" bit spun up like a top...
It actually stuck in the ceiling joist about 10' up. The operator had to change his shorts.
Nova wrote:

Be sure to make multiple passes! No shortcuts when routing raised panels. Of course you could always route them with hand planes... I ain't a skeered of no raised panel bit... Not much I ain't.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (dteckie) wrote in

Strange how thoughts seem to drop into my head these days, but...
You weren't even CONSIDERING doing this without a well-secured router table and a solidly attached fence, were you?
Because that's a pretty reliable way to self-nominate for a Darwin Award.
Are you feeling a bit nervous yet? Overconfidence with this tool causes lots of cleanup in the shop. And not necessarily by the one who was overconfident.
Patriarch, who thinks there are a number of ways to get fancy raised panel doors, safely. Calling a CNC-enabled millwork shop is one of the most attractive...
patriarch wrote:

Depends on why you do woodwork. If you're doing it to make money then farming some things out makes sense. If you're doing it for recreation then farming out the "interesting" stuff defeats the purpose.
--
--John
I just had another thought. I think we have all been assuming that the panel raising bit is the horizontal type. I have not used the vertical bits, but I would assume that the problem would not be as severe. Am I wrong?

table
Am I the only person left who uses a table saw for this operation?
Nope... it works, it just requires a different thought process.(and different jig)
Elwood Dowd wrote:

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 21:00:31 GMT, Pat Barber

It also depends on what profile you'd like the panel to have. It's kind of hard to cut an ogee with a straight blade. <G>
Barry