Router Speed for Raised Panels

I am fixing to make some raised panels out of MDF and Oak, What router speed does anyone recommend. I am using a verticle 1/2 bit. Should I alter the speed with the grain as opposed to cross grain? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Jeff
Suspect you can run at full speed, 18-24KRPM, if the tool is well balanced and you're not burning wood. Test on scrap and run at fastest speed that won't burn stock. Take a .010" finish cut to trim off any scorching. http://www.patwarner.com (Routers)