Router Sign "burnt look"

A woman in my office is having her husband make a sign for her. It will have router cut letters in a piece of 2X12 that was found floating in a stream. Apparently it is well weathered and of drift wood character. She wants to know how to make the letters look like they are burned into the wood... Given my aversion to router noise this isn't something I have any experience with. ;-) Any suggestions?
Thanks,
John

After the letters are formed, go over them with a cheap woodburning tool, available at the larger craft stores... flat black paint will look like, well, flat black paint and a torch will be hard to control without some practice, but a woodburner is easy to use right out of the box...
Michael Latcha - at home in Redford, MI
Use a really blunt router bit ;)

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 23:10:50 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"

In no particular order, John...
1. Woodburner set...from any local craft store.
2. Propane torch
3. Cut the lettering with a Dremmel tool...instead of the router...at high speed. It'll probably burn as it cuts.
Good luck.
Have a nice week...
Trent