Router recommendations...

OK, I've had it to the point of throwing things... :)

Suggestions for a router w/ the specific use w/ Leigh dovetail jigs--the Hitachi M12V I have has been frustrating for multiple reasons from day one and this is the end. The base is so big and clunky it's always been a pita to change bits; w/ the center guide in place w/ a dovetail bit it's absolutely impossible to even get a wrench to it...

The smaller on hand is 1/4" collet and of course I went the 8mm route.

So, looking for any specific recommendations folks have that know...

--

Reply to
dpb

I prefer routers with the 2 wrench set up to loosen and tighten the bit. While the shaft lock seems to be cool I find it cool only when the router is mounted in a table set up. Shaft lock solves nothing when it is used as a hand held unit. You still have to hold the router down. 2 wrenches work well together and can finally tightened and initially loosen with one hand.

That said, the Bosch 1617 EVS has been around for a long time, I got mine in 1998. It has a fine tune adjustment for height which is handy for hitting the sweet spot on blind dove tails.

There are other fine routers out there with similar capabilities but have not got the proven track record that the 1617 has. Festool would probably be a safe bet. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

So, looking for any specific recommendations folks have that know...

************************************************************* Ain't no best router for all things, out of the 70+ offerings. Oddly, tho all perform about the same, there are some that do some things better than others. The general picture:
routerman

OK, I've had it to the point of throwing things... :)

Suggestions for a router w/ the specific use w/ Leigh dovetail jigs--the Hitachi M12V I have has been frustrating for multiple reasons from day one and this is the end. The base is so big and clunky it's always been a pita to change bits; w/ the center guide in place w/ a dovetail bit it's absolutely impossible to even get a wrench to it...

The smaller on hand is 1/4" collet and of course I went the 8mm route.

So, looking for any specific recommendations folks have that know...

For my Leigh 24-inch dovetail jig I have a dedicated Porter-Cable 690 with the D-handle base and I'm quite happy with it. Using the D handle makes the router always approach the work in the same direction, minimizing the kinds of problems that arise when the template guide is not exactly centered in the base. 8mm collet adapters are readily available for that router.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Dacon

I can't be much help because I don't have the dovetail jig. However, I have always liked my big Bosch...older than Leons.

Mainly I wanted to suggest that you check out Milwaukee. They seem to have an intelligent design and if my Bosch ever quits, I'll be looking at them.

Reply to
dadiOH

Well, yes, but...

I didn't ask for all things; I specifically asked re: experiences/applicability when used w/ dovetail jigs...

The Hitachi works quite well within it's limitations but those limitations are a pita is some cases and a show-stopper for the present application.

So do the Craftsman and the DeWalt trimmer on hand excepting for collet size which is also a no-go for the use of 8mm bits.

Specifically, it would be good to know ones that have used the center bushing and have sufficient depth to both

a) have access to actually tighten dovetail bit that to use has to be after the bushing is in place once plunge mechanism (if plunge-base) is compressed sufficiently for length of bit--this is the immediate killer on the Hitachi; the base completely obscures the collet when compressed; and

b) and still have length to reach thru the guide fingers of the jigs...

Weight, balance and general likeability and/or dislikes of varisous users' is always good feedback, too.

For example another thing I do not like on the Hitachi is that when set upside down on bench the cord exits from the top w/ a stiff protector that makes it unstable.

A second problem with it is that the overall opening of the cast base is very small--even a 45 chamfer bit can't be used at anything approaching a full depth because it interferes w/ the base.

--

Reply to
dpb

I have two PC690's that I've been using as dedicated Leigh D4 routers for years. For me they are just the right size, plenty of power, easy to handle without fatigue, stable, plus they take various collet sizes and guide bushings that are industry standard and that work out of the box with the Leigh bits and fingers.

AAMOF, I'd almost be willing to bet that Leigh jigs were designed with the

690 in mind, since it was arguably once the most popular router around.
Reply to
Swingman

[...]

A second problem with it is that the overall opening of the cast base is very small--even a 45 chamfer bit can't be used at anything approaching a full depth because it interferes w/ the base. ======================================================================= I have used a PC 690 with dovetail jigs with complete satisfaction. Small, easy to handle and adjust. Plenty of power and an 8mm collet is available, as is a 3/8.

Reply to
CW

LOL, the 1617 is my newest Bosch. I have a Bosch 1611 that I got in

1988 IIRC. I have an old B&D 1/4" router that I bought when I was 19 in 1974.
Reply to
Leon

Yeah, mine is a 1611 too from about the same time. Beat you on the B&D though, got mine in 1969. Paid about $100, very expensive at the time. Looked the same as the later Elu which morphed into the Dewalt 610 but was only 7/8 HP vs their 1.5HP and 1/4 collet vs their 1/4 & 1/2. It has been used a lot.

Reply to
dadiOH

That's the hands-on kind of input I was hoping for -- thanks, Karl. I note at least a couple of other votes for it as well.

Being as there are no outlets around, one has to have pretty good input or have had the opportunity to see/use one elsewhere for any of those specifics--that's how I got burned on the Hitachi--it looked good value on the web but you can't tell the "gotcha's" until it's in hand.

It's well-built, powerful, balanced well but has the quirks that just kill all the good points...starting w/ the base is just far too bulky and lacks a large enough opening in the casting to justify a 3+ hp rating--a bit of the size to justify the heft can't fit in the opening and adjust height... :(

--

Reply to
dpb

Can you make another base plate? I made one out of sheet brass for my DeWalt for a special purpose use.

Reply to
G. Ross

Why sheet brass?

I made bases for my routers out of 3/8 acrylic. My 196? craftsman router My 1617evs units. I made offset and round.. brass sheet, would be expensive, harder to machine.

I don't understand why Bosch continues with the black bases. Having a clear base is so much better. You can see clearly when you are coming to an edge or endpoint.

Reply to
tiredofspam

I made a hook on the sheet that fit a tool rest so I could round off heavy bowl blanks while hand turning them on the lathe. This was when I had a light, POS HF lathe. I no longer need to do this. Picture on ABPW.

Reply to
G. Ross

Undoubtedly could altho I've not investigated it thoroughly w/ that in mind. I think it truly is too heavy to be fully satisfactory for use w/ the Leigh jig, anyway; I _was_, however, hoping to do something in reasonably quick period of time here and that's gone pretty much by the board. I cut them by hand yesterday afternoon in less time than spent fooling around w/ the jig assembly and all...

Once get everything set up, I presume it will be a help when do get onto the multiple items of same thing (namely drawers) that is on the horizon; I just thought I'd make a trial run for a one-time thing as practice and that turned into a quagmire mostly...

Reply to
dpb

Given enough time I would think the clear will be scratched enough that you will not be able to see through it.

Reply to
Leon

You can always sand then re-polish acrylic. 600 wet dry, up to 1200 .. then a little polishing compound clears it up well.

I do that on the edges of the bases I cut. I did my headlights using a kit that way recently.

Works well.

Reply to
tiredofspam

AH! Good to know. Thanks!

Reply to
Leon

a used Porter Cable 690 (or equivalent) works great on mine.

(where is routerman when you need him...;-) Pat what model took over the

690?

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS