Router Recommendation

Hi all, I'm looking to purchase a new router. I've had several Craftsman models that have all given out, and I'd like to get something really good. So, I'm looking for recomendations.

- I want something that can be used freehand or mouted in a table. I am planning to eventually get a big 3+hp model to leave in the table, but till then this one will serve double duty.

- I'm thinking that a combo kit with multiple bases is the way to go

- I'd like variable speed/soft start.

- I've looked at the Bosch 1617evs kit, and I really like it, but I don't like the fact that it doesn't use standard PC type template guides. Also, I've read _a lot_ of complaints about the switch packing with sawdust.

Other models I'm considering are: Dewalt 618, PC 690 and the Hitachi M12V.

So, what do you guys think?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Very happy here with the PC690 multi-base kit. It is a well-established workhorse, does the job, and just about every accessory imaginable comes in a version to fit it.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie M. 1958

This is the right time to look for one. Keep googling and you should be able to pick up a PC 690 VS with all 3 bases for less than $200 (may involve a rebate). They almost always run holiday specials on these.

I bought the PC 693VS for the compatability reason you brought up and have no complaints.

Reply to
RayV

Same here, I have (2).

I also have (2) Bosch 1617EVS, that have not had a switch problem, but have had corrosion on the magnesium bodies. The templet issue is a no-brainer with an $8 Bosch adaptor.

EVS is necessary in the table, but I rarely use it in handheld use.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I've been very happy with my Dewalt 618 - I generally leave the fixed base in my table, and use the plunge base (or a laminate trimmer) for handheld jobs. Stable, powerful, good dust collection with plunge base, no complaints. a few recommendations:

  1. check out patwarner.com for LOTS of router info, accessories, and reviews
  2. look in the archives here (groups.google.com, find the wRECk, use "Search This Group" - there have been several threads recently on this very subject
  3. look around for deals on reconditioned machines - amazon, toolking.com, etc.
  4. get decent bits - I'd recommend mlcswoodworking at the very least (decent quality, good price), or infinitytool.com for better quality still at a good price. Both these companies have excellent customer service. Hope this helps, Andy
Reply to
Andy

I also use and like the Dewalt 618. Mine came with a rebate for a free D handle. So I leave the original base in the table and use the plunge and D handle for free form out of the table.

Thom

Reply to
Thom