router rating (bosch 1617EVS)

Does anyone here have a Bosch 1617EVS 12 amp router. I can get a good deal on a new one and will be using it for raised panels with a 2 3/4" bit in a router table. Is it a good model? Thanks

Reply to
habbi

I've been using one for about three years now... no problems at all. Haven't tried to spin anything quite as big as a panel-raiser in it yet (I have a shaper for that) but it spins a pretty hefty edge-profiling bit without any trouble. Very smooth operation, comfortable handles. The only thing I don't like about it is that the power switch can't be reached without lifting one hand off the handle.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Just got one at Lowes. The only thing I don't like about is that you need to buy an optional accessory in order to use the porter cable template guides.

Pat Warner gives it two thumbs up on his web page.

stoutman

I have three of them (don't ask) and love them. They are a bit underpowered for raised panels though. You can make them, but slooowwwllllyyy.

Reply to
toller

Mine has been flawless for a couple of years hanging in a table. I've not done raised panels though.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"stoutman" wrote in news:FdQke.136$Bk3.18701 @twister.southeast.rr.com:

template

I've had mine for about 18 months. Shortly after I got it I ran into a Bosch rep at a local lumberyard...asked him about the PC bushing guide and he just gave me one, along with a few other goodies. I like the

1617 a lot, but as others have not used anything like a monster panel raising bit with it.

-kiwanda

Reply to
Kiwanda

I have used mine with panel bits, including those with back cutters, with excellent results. An extra pass might be needed. Keep in mind, my largest run of raised panels at one shot was 12.

I have (2) 1617EVS's, a 1617, a 690, and a Bosch laminate trimmer. If I ever need a bigger router for the table, I'll probably bite the bullet and buy a shaper.

If you're dedicating a router to the table, check out a Hitachi M12.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I bought the accessory, but it seems to have almost 1/32" of play inside the Bosch quick change assembly. Looks like this could be problem even with the Bosch brand template guides. Pat Warner's extended base plate is on my wish list. In the meantime, I get out my P-C 7529 for template guided work rather than risk a guide that moves.

Otherwise this is the first router I reach for. I have no trouble reaching the switch with my hand on the knob., maybe I have long thumbs.

Reply to
Larry Kraus

Larry!

Thanks for your response. I took back the Bosch. I wanted to use this thing for hand held routing only using template guides on occasion.

I think Bosch BLEW IT on this detail of the router.

I picked up the PC8529.

Reply to
stoutman

"habbi" wrote in news:UUPke.36050$ snipped-for-privacy@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca:

I've got one (but like others haven't spun a large panel raising bit; the biggest bit I've used on it has been a large rabbeting bit).

My only beef with it has been the on/off switch -- hanging in the router table I've had dust get into the on/off switch and cause it to stop working. Several posts here on the wreck will tell you how to blow out the dust and get it working again. Of course I could probably avoid that problem if I would install adequate dust collection on the underside of my router table ;-P

Like another poster mentioned, the the templet setup that comes with the router isn't the best. It's finicky to center and seat firmly. If I did more templet routing I'd probably get a clear subbase from Pat Warner.

Finally, you might want to consider the combo kit if you haven't already. It's mighty handy having a fixed base under the router table and a plunge base for using it handheld.

Reply to
Nate Perkins

I don't use the switch. It is turned on and plugged into a switched receptacle on the side of the router table. Convenient and safer it you have to turn it off quickly.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Probably so - when I table-mounted mine, I built an MDF box around it with a

4" dust port in the bottom, which gives me more than adequate dust collection. And I've yet to have a problem with the switch.
Reply to
Doug Miller

Yes, the switch on one of mine has broken. So I stuck in permanently in my table where it doesn't matter. Blow it out? I will have to do a search some day.

Yes, I have a PW base that takes PC templet guides. I have used the Bosch templet guide and don't really care for it.

Reply to
toller