ROUTER QUESTION...

Page 1 of 2
I am about to purchase a router to use with my router table. I already have two Craftsman routers.I would like to upgrade to at least 2 hp and variable speed.I know that Craftsman or Skil have good prices for those features.My question is--will they do a decent enough job vs. the higher priced name brands?Or, is there a good router on the market that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Any comments would be appreciated.Thanks.
There was a great buy on the Hitachi M12V (which I use in my router table) at Amazon.com a few weeks ago! I got a Bosch fixed-base router (1617EVS) on sale a few weeks ago. In my experience you won't regret buying either of these, but the Craftsman are usually over-priced for the quality of machines they sell.
Brian
| I am about to purchase a router to use with my router table. I already have | two Craftsman routers.I would like to upgrade to at least 2 hp and variable | speed.I know that Craftsman or Skil have good prices for those features.My | question is--will they do a decent enough job vs. the higher priced name | brands?Or, is there a good router on the market that doesn't cost an arm and | a leg? Any comments would be appreciated.Thanks. | | | | | | | | | |

I couldn't agree with Brian more! The M12V is still on sale too with ALL OF THE ACCESSORIES and NO shipping costs. Search google and you will see alot of us here have a M12V.
Step up, copy and repaste this link into your browser: (Amazon.com product link shortened)75302351/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1_etk-tools/103-8112366-5501454?v=glance&s=hi&n"8013
There aren't many sure things in life, but one thing is: the m12v is a tool, and the craftsman router is a toy.
Fighting the urge to repaint all of the tools in my shop green, SS
Sam;
Words taken out of my mouth. My favourite tools are ALL green. (My first rechargeable tool was a 4.2V (?) Hitachi drill - about 24 years ago). Really love their 14.4V cordless drill I use now. Also have their corded hammer drill, cordless circ. saw and sliding compound mitre saw C10FS. This latter is the only green tool I am not totally devoted to. I am not too fussy with its angle stops (I always have to double check the cutting angle, e.g. 90 deg.) and its tiny fences.
Brian
| > There was a great buy on the Hitachi M12V (which I use in my router table) | > at Amazon.com a few weeks ago! I got a Bosch fixed-base router (1617EVS) | > on sale a few weeks ago. In my experience you won't regret buying either | > of these, but the Craftsman are usually over-priced for the quality of | > machines they sell. | > | > Brian | > | | I couldn't agree with Brian more! The M12V is still on sale too with | ALL OF THE ACCESSORIES and NO shipping costs. Search google and you | will see alot of us here have a M12V. | | Step up, copy and repaste this link into your browser: | (Amazon.com product link shortened)75302351/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1_etk-tools/103-8112366-5501454?v=glance&s=hi&n"8013 | | There aren't many sure things in life, but one thing is: the m12v is a | tool, and the craftsman router is a toy. | | Fighting the urge to repaint all of the tools in my shop green, | SS
There is one feature that Craftsman offers that most other companies don't, RVHA. Most Craftsman routers have it.
Glen

have
variable
and

That's ARHA.
Yes, it's a Sears exclusive.
LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Ok I'll bite what the heck is ARHA?
Jim
wrote:

don't,
Automatic Random Height Adjustment. The Craftsman router collets are very badly designed and allow the bits to slip. The third time I saw it happen I returned the unit. Sears wanted to give me a replacement. My answer was that the design was obviously bad and I didn't want my family to need to sue them after I was killed when a bit came all the way out and still spinning at 25000 RPM. I got my money back on a 3 year old (lightly used) router. I now have 3 PC routers and am verrrry happy with them.
Len -----------------
James D Kountz wrote:

A quick Google search came up with "Australian Reproductive Health Alliance". I don't know what that is, but "reproductive health" and "router" just don't mix well!

You mean aside from the fact that a Crapsman router has the potential to severely alter your "reproductive health"?
Once you use one of the higher end routers like the PC. You'll never go back to Skil or Craftsman.. I have Hitachi, Makita, Dewalt and PC. You'll have to take the PC 895PK from my cold dead hands! LOL Once I started using the new PC, it's the best set I've had.

have
variable
and
"Bill Everette @verizon.net>" <everettes<maps> wrote in message

features.My
I'm still using a PC690LR. It's only 1 3/4HP but it's never failed to give me excellent results. I use it in and out of the table. It came with both the fixed and plunge bases.
I have a PC in the table. I've sold the plunge base which came it. Why? First, the clamp which held the motor for the base was a real pain the ass. Second, I fell into a Skil 1845 Gold Edition. This is the best medium sized plunge router I've ever used hands down. Never used in the table, but for everthing else, I grab this unit first. It has every feature you'd ever want on a router and has proven accurate and easy to use. The Hitachi previously mentioned is a good buy. For a larger size router, you can't beat the price and I know a couple of guys that are very happy with them. Mark.
Bill Everette

What's wrong with the clamp holding the router in the base? Mine works fine

features.My
So does mine.
"Bill @theeverettes.com>" <bill<spam> wrote in message

name
arm

have
variable
and
There is more to getting a quality cut that just spinning a bit really fast. Had a Craftsman. Gave it away. Consider a Bosch 1617EVS. It really does make a difference. You will be h appy with a PC or DeWalt also.
. Ed
I second that.

features.My
fast.
When we built our router table in class, our instructor suggested a router with at least 3HP. So with that suggestion, it narrows the field.

have
variable
and

If you are going to dedicate a router to the table, that makes sense. But if you're going to share it between table use & hand-held, then a 2+ HP router is a better compromise between power for the table & light weight & ease of handling for outside the table.
John
Sorry, it is dedicated. As for hand held, we have a craftsman.