Router Question

Ok, so now I am getting down to the nitty-gritty. It is now such a close call that I may just end up flipping a coin.
I have narrowed down my choices to two options. Both are the exact same price ($240) and both are 2.25HP routers with fixed & plunge bases and a carrying case.
They are the DeWalt #DW618PK and the Bosch #1617EVSPK (which also includes an edge guide.
So what's the word fellas? The DeWalt, the Bosch, or the coin toss?
Bosch Hands down, I do not use Dewalt Routers But I can tell you since I have about 20 operating Bosch's That they are Work horses

You also may want to check out this discussion, as it seems pertinent: http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadmnk17v4ec0turj9hsio21guv543rv61cai%404ax.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Ddw618pk,%2Bbosch%2Bgroup:rec.woodworking%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26group%3Drec.woodworking%26selm%3D6ek17v4ec0turj9hsio21guv543rv61cai%25404ax.com%26rnum%3D1
Hope this helps.
-Barry K.

includes
Just my opinion but I'd go for the Bosch. FWIW I've never used either router but I've used a lot of Dewalt and Bosch tools and I always prefered the Bosch.
Kevin

Funny you should pose the question, as I was looking at the exact 2 router sets recently as well. They each seem to have their benefits: The Bosch has a nicer "feel" to it, from what I've heard, but the DeWalt has the detachable power cord and pretty good dust collection on the plunge base. Also, the Bosch has a magnesium base, which may require periodic treatment to prevent oxidation (although the Mg base also makes it pretty light).
You may want to look up reviews on the routers in question. I know Pat Warner did a pretty good job on his site http://www.patwarner.com/dw618pk.html of the DW (I am not affiliated, etc, etc.) So I guess that pretty much lets you know which one I'm picking, but to be honest, with the two choices listed, you really can't go wrong. The specs on both tools seem to be just what I was looking for.
Again, I am sure the Bosch is a fine tool, I just think that you really can't go wrong with either set, as they are both very well reviewed.
Hope this helps, but I have a feeling it didn't. Oh, well. Good luck.
-Barry K.
With over 30+ Bosch router bases floating around my shop I have never seen any oxidation them here in AZ or when I was on the east coast. George

includes
but
I have the Bosch and have NO reqrets, use it in my table and have no regrets. Probably buy another for hand held work. Al
So, Al, do you have ANY regrets about your Bosch router?? :)
dave
Al in WA wrote:

I think my keyboard had a senior moment. Al
That is such an easy choice! Bosch. I have their much older and more powerful 1611EVS (and a number of other Bosch tools)...they make great tools. Very low failure rate and an excellent feel to them (balance and ergonomics).

I am not very familiar with the DeWalt bur have owned the Bosch 11617evs a little over 5 years now. More than anything I appreciate the micro-adjust depth adjustment on the Bosch. I bought this router to cut dovetails and the micro adjust makes fine tuning the bit depth quick and accurate. I also absolutely prefer a router that used 2 wrenches to loosen and tighten a router bit. After having both styles on numerous routers, its 2 wrenches for me.

I vbought a Micro-Router for $100 and realized what I had been missing with my router!! This thing is awesome!!!! It is SO precise that I almost hate to use it.
On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 14:30:52 GMT, "Leon"

Everything said about the Bosch I totally agree with and the Delux Edge guide is a thing of beauty with micro adjust and it can be used to do circles. Get Pat Werner's clear bases for it - another piece of art.
ELA

Ok, hold everything!
Rockler just sent me an email about the new Porter-Cable 893PK: http://www.rockler.com/findit.cfm?page 695 http://www.portercable.com/index.asp?e '6&p%9457
Key Features: 2-1/4 HP fixed & plunge bases Micro-adjustability of bit height from above or from below a table Through-the-table bit changing with an automatic collet lock Easier to grip body for one-handed use through-the-handle dust collection (optional)
Now, for you heavy-router experienced, how would you compare this kit with the DeWalt #DW618PK or the Bosch #1617EVSPK kits mentioned below?
And thanks again for your help on this. I have a limited budget so whatever I get is going to have to last me for a long time (at least through the learning curve).

< snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net> wrote in message
Yes, I know the P-C rep. So, I am leaning toward this model now as it seems to have been designed with specific features that are perfect for table use (above bit access and micro-adjustment, etc ) and hand-held use (easy-grip body, through the handle dust collection, etc).
Of course, this is a completely new line and any company can make a clunker.
Thanks for your opinion.