router problem

A little help, please. I have a Crapsman router ( I know, but it wwas a gift {honest}. I have used it for a couple of years. Now, when I start a piece through the table and into the bit, it cuts fine for a couple of inches and then slides down below table height. I have even tightened the set screw handle with a pair of pliers and it still does not stay in place. Does the band enlarge after so many loosening and tightenings? Does the collet become loose? What could it be? I am a pure amatuer wood butcher, but this has just recently been happening. I know it is probably something stupid I am overlooking. TIA for you help (and even your ridicule, for those so inclined)>

Brian

Reply to
Brian

They have had trouble with both the collet coming loose and the band. They changed the band the last couple years to the Porter Cable type and that works better but the collets are still not very good. Take a marker and mark a line where your bit hits the top of the collet and then you can tell if it is slipping when you make your cut. If it's the collet slips you are better just getting rid of the router if it is the type that is part of the shaft.

Reply to
tdup2

not knowing your table........I'd say it was the mounting plate not flush..............

Reply to
HMFIC-1369

I had the same problem a long time ago.

Found no good solution.

Rather than waste any more wood, I dumped it and got on with life.

Sorry I can offer nothing better.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Reply to
Brian

I have a Duracraft router (Farm & Fleet house brand) the wife got me several years ago, and it started having a similar problem- only in my case the bit was climbing up somehow, and randomly cutting though the surface of the wood when dadoing. I tried a whole ton of different fixes, but ended up just replacing it with a Porter-Cable 690- it's not even in the same ballpark as the cheap one. And the extra cost was immediately justified by my no longer having to worry about a carbide-tipped bit shooting out and trying to route a groove in my skull!

Reply to
Prometheus