Router Plane

Page 2 of 2
Michael Faurot wrote:

eBay. Look at the non-collectable #71s that close in the next hour and just bid generously. You won't buy one for an absolute bargain price but you'll still save on new. A #271 is even more useful (I love mine) but they're rare enough to not be commonplace.

I won't mention that Lie Nielsen has one for $75.
Robin, are you paying attention? :-)

Greetings....
I saw one in "the handplane book" that looked like something I could make myself...I found the cutters at highland hardware and with a little time I was able to make serviceable router plane....you can see it <a href="http://bellsouthpwp.net/d/c/dchaynie/Tools/Planes/routerplane/a_shop_ made_router_plane.htm">here< /a>
hope this helps....
DCH
DCH wrote:
| I saw one in "the handplane book" that looked like something I | could make myself...I found the cutters at highland hardware and | with a little time I was able to make serviceable router | plane....you can see it
www.bellsouthpwp.net/d/c/dchaynie/Tools/Planes/routerplane/a_shop_made _router_plane.htm
Nice job! I like the eye bolt idea.

That's interesting how you used an eye-bolt to hold the cutter. Since these things are so easy to make, I may have to make another router plane with a similar holding system and a larger/wider pre-made cutter.
Thanks for the tip.

remove ".invalid".

href="http://bellsouthpwp.net/d/c/dchaynie/Tools/Planes/routerplane/a_
The cutters are the same as the Stanley....it was the the easiest plane I made so far it only took an afternoon to do....
If you can I would like to see more of your allen wrench/thumbscrew setup....
Regards
DCH

Sure. I'm not much of a photographer, but you can see some more shots of the cutter here:
http://wood.atww.net/main.php/v/RouterPlaneCutter /
Several things about this, that may not be visible in the pictures:
o)    I ground off the sides of the bottom of the cutter to change it from a hexagonal shape to more of a square/rectangle. Thus making it possible to get right up next to the walls of a dado.
o)    I also ground the very bottom of the cutter to form a sort of bevel on the bottom. I removed more material towards the bend than at the front. By doing this it helps the cutting edge connect with the wood, instead of riding on the bottom.
o)    To further improve the angle of attack of the cutting edge, I also had to bend it a bit so as to increase the angle from 90 degrees to a bit more like 95-100 degrees.
o)    For the thumb screw, with machine threads, to work, an insert was used. The insert has threads on its outside, and once screwed into the wood, is very solid. I got these at Home Depot.
I wound up using this router plane a lot yesterday to make a base for a sharpening stone. In particular to remove the material where the stone will sit in the wood. After getting the initial area defined with chisels, the router plane was used to smooth and even out the bottom. It took awhile to get the hang of how to use it, but once I had that figured out, along with a bit of fine tuning on the angle of attack for the cutter, it worked very well. It also provides a good workout for your forearms and biceps. :)

remove ".invalid".