Router on lathe ..

Would you guys dare try this? I find it a bit scary!

Phil Kangas

Hell yeah, it's dangerous.... especially the way he has it oriented. There are safe ways to do it, but not like that.

Of course, my question is always.... WHY!? Why have two objects moving, the stock and the blade? Why not rough it out with a regular hand held gouge tool. Anyone who's been turning a year can rough that out with a gouge faster than it took him with that contraption. I'm sure there are eleventy-thousand youtube videos showing it.

Reply to
-MIKE-

My eyes kinda got out of focus there close to the end. He's braver (or crazier) than I have been since a teen.

Reply to
G. Ross

Not to mention that the legs he makes with it are butt ugly. With a

1/2" or so router bit he is limited to large coves and beads. No V cuts or anything actually interesting on the leg.

I wonder too how much those bits are and how many he burns through. You know there's going to be sand and such in the bark of the wood sooner or later...

...Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Miller

From the way that guy's voice sounds, I think he already had a bad accident.

Reply to
Larry W

He sounds that way cuz he is Canada'n EH?

Reply to
Leon

"Phil Kangas" wrote in news:lbp65k$fr7$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I think the guy's an idiot. Hasn't he ever heard of a roughing gouge??

There's nothing inherently unsafe in what he's doing *after* it's roughed to a cylinder, but there are easier and better ways of duplicating pieces on a lathe.

Reply to
Doug Miller

After watching the video, I am impressed. I did not see the router jerk at all. I did not see it get banged by the lopsided blank. I think what he did is kind of interesting about how he takes a really off balance piece and quickly trues it up without having to bandsaw it.

It appears the bit length and method that he uses to enter the blank are quite effective.

I wouldn't want to do it, but it appears to be safe based on what I see. I was surprised at the way he mounts the motor and switch. I would not want to have the switch in that location in case something went really wrong. I would want it where I was, not the opposite end of a catapult.

Reply to
woodchucker

He needs a bigger router.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

That is an accident waiting to happen. I treat my router and lathe as two rabid dogs waiting to bite my ass. Running the two of them together like this is just asking for a trip to the ER.

Reply to
Gramps' shop

I have never had a router bite me, but it is because I am a bit scared of a nything that moves that fast. And there are plenty of stories of bit shatt ering on the net when using bits as designed, so why tempt fate? I wonder why this guy doesn't just strap the router to his chest and go for it.

On the other hand, I have nicked myself pretty good with the lathe. I was thinking of the shattered pieces of wood that have launched off the machine knocking hole in the garage wall, the catches I have had that broke a chun k of wood into pieces, etc. Lathes are as dangerous a machine as you can w ork on. So to see that nitwit with a piece of firewood turning on a lathe to begin with is idiocy.

When I taught turning, I made anyone I was teaching get it at least >> clos e

Reply to
nailshooter41