Router Newbie--Missing Pieces?

Page 1 of 2
Bought a Bosch router almost a year ago, but didn't have time to work on the projects that I bought it for. Now that I do, I'm a bit stumped how to put it together (Never used a router before.) I think I'm missing parts. The shaft came with nut on it, but no collet that I can recognize. There was a separate chuck that appears to have a 1/4" collet, but I can't see how to attach it to the shaft. The directions recommend using 1/2" shanks, so I suspect I may be missing a 1/2" collet. I don't mind that, because I actually would prefer to attach the 1/4" chuck, since I have some of those bits.
Here's a picture of the parts I have:
http://www.boundvortex.com/images/Chucks.jpg
Questions:
1) Am I correct that there appears to be a missing 1/2" collet, and 2) How can I attach the 1/4" chuck?
Thanks (BTW, I have read the manual)
snipped-for-privacy@boundvortex.com wrote: <snip> > 1) Am I correct that there appears to be a missing 1/2" collet, and > 2) How can I attach the 1/4" chuck? > > Thanks > (BTW, I have read the manual) >
Looks like you have a 1/2" collet and the nut that goes with it to be threaded on the shaft, shown in photo you call spare chuck.
If they show an exploded view of the router in the parts manual, it should help you.
Lew
<<Looks like you have a 1/2" collet and the nut that goes with it to be
threaded on the shaft, shown in photo you call spare chuck.

Except that it won't go onto the shaft. I've tried! The collet sticks out on the side with the threads and will not go into the shaft.
<<If they show an exploded view of the router in the parts manual, it should help you.

Doesn't have one. That would make it too easy. ;-)
Thanks for your reply.
It appears from the picture at the top right that the collet is in the shaft. The part you see in the end with the splits in it is the collet.

<<It appears from the picture at the top right that the collet is in the shaft. The part you see in the end with the splits in it is the collet.

Ok, since you all agree, then it must be so. ;-)
I thought it look collet-ish, but didn't match the other pictures I had, and didn't seem willing to detach itself.
I'll give it another whirl.
Thanks everyone!
snipped-for-privacy@boundvortex.com wrote:

You have both the 1/2" and 1/4" :-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

It seems like You have all parts. But with some routers, You have to snap in the collet in to the nut BEFORE You put it in the router shaft. You will feel it when the colett "clicks" into the nut. Now You can put the collet with the nut into the shaft.
I can add, my router (Freud) has a warning to tighten the nut without a bit in it. It maybe the same for Botsch. Always read the manual before use.
May-Brith
<<warning to tighten the nut without a bit in it. It maybe the same for Botsch. Always read the manual before use. >>
Mine says *not* to tighten the nut without a bit in it. Was that what you meant?
Anyway, collet appears firmly wedged in the shaft and I can't remove it. May have to buy some 1/2" bits. ;-)
snipped-for-privacy@boundvortex.com wrote:

Sounds about right ie good machining. :-)
Put a cloth around the collet and twistout with some wide pliers.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

<<Put a cloth around the collet and twistout with some wide pliers. >>
That worked, thanks!

I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough. My native language is Norwegian, and it's 30 years ago I learned English. So it's not always easy to explain. May sentence about tighten the nut was meant to be *not* tighten.

But, if You can't screw the nut on to the collet, then You can't use 1/2" bits, or?
May-Brith
<<But, if You can't screw the nut on to the collet, then You can't use 1/2" bits, or?>>
The nut goes on the 1/2" collet just fine, but I had bought a bunch of 1/4" bits months ago and I want to use them if I can. They're much less expensive and while I'm experimenting, I don't want to destroy expensive bits.
Thank you!
On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 07:12:05 -0700, gesres wrote:

1) Wiggle it. If need be, insert the plain end of a drill bit into the opening and wiggle it. Once it gets out, inspect it for smoothness and LIGHTLY touch up any external divots you might find ... possibly machining burrs at the slits ... with a bit of crocus cloth. Check the ID of the shaft for corresponding nicks and address them too, LIGHTLY so as not to destroy the over all circularity.
2) the pliers and cloth trick mentioned earlier would be my next step. Just be careful not to squeeze the collet sides more than a VERY small amount. If it cracks or distorts, it's unsafe junk. Pitch it and buy a new one.
3) bend a piece of coat hanger wire with a t-handle at one end and a short hook at the other. Insert the hook through the collet opening and yank.
My guess is that your router has already been in the hands of an end-user. I very much doubt that Bosch would ship it in this condition. Likely somebody (you?) has pressed the collet into the shaft and THEN tried to screw the nut on. That's how it got wedged in there to start with. The nut with the collet already inserted would be the proper way to do things.
<<My guess is that your router has already been in the hands of an end-user. >>
An astute conclusion: the unit is "factory reconditioned."
The trick with the cloth and pliers worked. Got the collet out. After I put the 1/4" collet in, however, and put the nut on, it won't close tight enough to hold the 1/4" bit.
This is why I waited a year to get started. The crawling before walking is painful. ;-)
snipped-for-privacy@boundvortex.com wrote:

You should have two nuts and two collets. 1/2" collet for 1/2" nut,ect
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

<You should have two nuts and two collets. 1/2" collet for 1/2" nut,ect >>
There are two nuts and two collets. One collet is 1/2" and the other is smaller but bigger than 1/4". <sigh>
snipped-for-privacy@boundvortex.com wrote:

lol
You need a book on the basics of getting to know the router in detail
Unless its a 3/8" collet which also comes with most 1/2" routers.
Looking closely at the (no collet) pic it would seem you have a collet within a collet?
And if I'm right then you have 3 collets ie 1/2",3/8" and 1/4"
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

No wonder the bloody nut wouldn't screw on. lol
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

<<You need a book on the basics of getting to know the router in detail>>
I do have one, but it covers a wide variety of routers and it's not obvious how much applies to mine in particular. Now that you guys have helped me identify my 1/2" collet, I can see pictures of it in the book. I also see a picture of a 1/4" collet that looks just like the one I have. But mine still won't hold the bit.
<<Unless its a 3/8" collet which also comes with most 1/2" routers.>>
Perhaps that's the case. My router book says that 3/8" collets aren't included much any more, though. Maybe it's metric?
<<Looking closely at the (no collet) pic it would seem you have a collet within a collet?>>
No, it's just machined with the bevel at the top that looks like another collet.
I'll just have to call the support line on Monday.
I appreciate your help!
On 28 Oct 2006 21:26:12 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@boundvortex.com wrote:

Entirely possible. Quoted from Wilkipedia:

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plunge_router
It also mentions 10mm and 12mm sizes.