Router neener

I've occasionally used carbide spiral end mills in my router. The problem with end mills is that the shank is normally the same diameter as the cutter. I finally solved the problem by ordering a set of collets that'll let me chuck up anything (including drill bits!) with shank sizes between 1/8" and 5/8". They arrived yesterday and I was so tickled that I almost posted a gloat; but decided that it was more of a neener than a gloat - then decided to post it anyway. :-)

Photo on news:alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Morris Dovey

I detect a strong sense of neenerness with a big toe hanging over the gloat line. I, for one, appreciate the expanded versatility now at your fingertips. I buy 3/8" diameter shank spirals and need to use phenolic reducing bushings. I would like to buy/use 3/16 bits too.

Nice score, Morris... I feel some suction.....

(A 1/8" bit hanging off a 5HP Colombo.....*shudder*.. scatter shield=ON..)

Reply to
Robatoy

| Nice score, Morris... I feel some suction..... | | (A 1/8" bit hanging off a 5HP Colombo.....*shudder*.. scatter | shield=ON..)

Thanks. I think you may as well give up now and start thinking seriously about where you're going to put a 4x8 router table. Methinks it won't be long now... :-)

I haven't worried much about the 1/8" bits since I chucked up a 1/32" bit (with a 1/8" shank) and cut to a depth of 1/2" (in 1/16" increments). Trying to feed too fast (or _way_ too slow) for any extended distance is what seems to break bits.

I've managed to break four bits so far - and the loose end has always been left sitting at the end of the (incomplete) cut. Even so, I recently built a little shield that I can roll between the operator console and the spindle for "iffy" operations.

Morris Dovey

Morris Can you give me details about the collets you bought? max

Reply to
max

| Can you give me details about the collets you bought?

Gladly. They're standard ER-25 spring collets. These are Bison brand made in Poland and purchased from KBC Tools

catalog number 7-171-295. Purchased as a set of 12 collets, they come in a storage box and cost about $US130.

ER-25 is a European collet standard and I suspect there'd be much joy if it (or any of the ER standards) were adopted worldwide by router producers. They're available from a number of different manufacturers and distributors.

Each spring collet can hold a (small) range of shank sizes. The nominal 1/2" collet, for example, is suitable for shank sizes from

0.472" to 0.511".

Oh yes - they're available individually; so it's not a big deal if it becomes necessary to replace just one of the set.

Does that provide the details you were after?

Morris Dovey
[snip]

Goodness, am I that transparent?..*G* Let's just say I downloaded the .pdf plans for those 4x8 tables (wood or steel) and dropped off a copy at a local steel-fabricator-friend.

[snip]

Smart. I'm not big on flying metal either. I bought a leather apron years ago.. a heavy one... makes me feel safe. I hand-hold 3/4" full bull radius bits for those 1 1/2" thick countertop edges. Just the right height that if one were to shatter, they'd have to change my position in the choir.

Reply to
Robatoy

I use them daily in milling machines. Have long wished that my PC would take them.

Reply to
CW

Do these fit in your PC router? max

Reply to
max

| Do these fit in your PC router?

No - that's what makes this a neener. I also have DeWalt, PC, and B&D hand routers and none of the collets are interchangable from one router to the other and the only sizes available for these machines are 1/4" and 1/2", AFAIK.

PC seems to have forgotten how to put decent bearings in a router. Collets will probably take a while longer...

Morris Dovey

I have a DeWalt 3/8" Collet for this very purpose. It took a phone call to DeWalt, but it was available (and the Borg ordered it for me!). IIRC, a couple of 'European' sizes (i.e. in mm) were also available, but it was a bit ago...

PK

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

A 3/8" is available for the PC.

Reply to
CW

| A 3/8" is available for the PC.

Good to know - also good to know that the 3/8" can be special ordered for the DeWalt.

I'd still like to see the standardization. While I may end up with

3/8" collets for both PC and DeWalt routers, my strong preference is to buy the sizes I need (once) and use them with whatever tool is best for the job at hand.

One of the side effects of buying the ER-25 set is that I can now use metric tooling whenever it's appropriate, convenient, and/or cost effective - without having to pay more to get that tooling shanked for standard (inch) router collets.

Morris Dovey

Yes, I would like to see it used as standard in routers too but I think that that may be just wishfull thinking. ER collets have been available in the US for at least twenty years though other collet types seem to be in wider use. ER is starting to catch up though and, now that they are available in standard machine holders, are becoming standard in our shop. This changover is slow going though as we will continue to use old tooling until it is no longer serviceable. There are a wide viriaty of collets used in the metal working industry. If they can't standardize, it's little wonder that router manufacturers can't. I too use endmills for routing. With the three sizes of collets for PC routers, all diametters from 1/2" down are covered.

Reply to
CW