Router Mortising Jig?

Page 1 of 2

What is the best router mortising jig you've ever used/built/bought/designed that is suitable for, or can be adapted to, producing angled mortises in rails and stiles/legs for use with loose tenon joinery?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05
Swingman wrote:

Somebody's ready for his own Multirouter...
"B a r r y" wrote in message

I wish ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05
Swingman (in uoKdna1AK8IxHmHenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com) said:
| What is the best router mortising jig you've ever | used/built/bought/designed that is suitable for, or can be adapted | to, producing angled mortises in rails and stiles/legs for use with | loose tenon joinery?
I designed, built, use: http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/cnc_joinery.html
Also does tenons - and dovetails/pins with a straight bit :-)
"Morris Dovey" wrote in message

Sure, Bubba ... I'll whip one up this afternoon. LOL
Thanks, anyway. ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05
"Mark Wells" wrote in message

I'll check it out ... although it will probably be the one issue I am missing.
Thanks,
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

I do have a review of the Trend in a FWW article in .pdf, but the review wasn't too explicit how it would work in the situation I am contemplating. Be nice to hear from someone who owns and know how easily it would adapt.
Thanks,
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

I am not above buying the FMT. AAMOF, I've been looking at it long and hard for some time (I own an older D4 and am a fan of Leigh products).
Owning the FMT, perhaps you can tell me the answer to my question.
I have a project that specs "loose tenon" joinery (particularly for the extra strength in the tenons which would normally have to be cut angled in a normal M & T joinery).
Will the FMT allow you to easily cut angled mortise in the end of stock, like the end of rails?
(I realize there is a part length limitation depending upon how high you have the jig mounted off the floor/work surface).
I would imagine that it would, but have no direct experience with the beast.
For this particular application I don't need the ability to cut the tenons, which I know the FMT can easily do. I just need to be assured that it will allow me to use loose tenons in angled mortises cut in the end or rails for this particular project.
.... besides, if it does, I can then damn sure justify having it for future projects requiring normal M&T joinery. :)
Thanks for your input.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05
Swingman wrote:

The jig I mention will handled angled mortises but it is NOT a el-cheapo replacement for the Leigh FMT.
http://www.woodsmith.com/issues/147/videos/setting-up-and-using-the-router-jig /
This is a "EXCELLENT" jig for loose tenon joinery.
Swingman wrote:

Also in Shop Notes issue 68 there is the Mortiser jig that is very similar to the Multi Router.
I got that issue and if I was going to that much trouble, I would just buy the real thing. The Leigh FMT looks pretty nice but even that has limitations on size,etc.
The Mult-Router appears to be the KING of that sort of thing.
I think a few guys on the group have bought the Leigh and even the Wood Rat and there is one more I can't think of made in the U.K.
Leon wrote:

"Pat Barber" wrote in message

The "Matchmaker" is interesting, and a good deal cheaper than the MultiRouter.
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM -201&LARGEVIEW=ON
Don't know a soul who has even seen one, and damn few who have ever heard of it.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

That is the one that I was thinking about when I e-mailed you.
"Leon" wrote in message

Thanks ... I remember someone a few years back asking here about a comparison between the Matchmaker and the Multirouter. I tracked his website down and it looks like he decided to go with the MR since he is now a distributor for JDS:
http://www.furnituremaker.com/#multi
The FMT is looking better all the time.
I am a bit of leery of the lack of information on the Matchmaker, I can't really justify the expense of the MR, and at this point I need to be making productive sawdust instead of jigs.
Still undecided, though.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

"Swingman" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com> wrote in message
I "assume" you brought this subject up because you have a pressing need or are you just kicking the tires ???
The FMT also has it's limitations.... but VERY nice
"The jig is supplied with five joint guides, enabling you to produce 5/16" mortise and tenon joints with lengths of 1/2" through 1-1/2" in 1/4" increments. Also included are a matching 5/16" spiral upcut bit (1/2" shank), all the necessary tools and mounting hardware and full instructions. Additional joint guide sets for 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" wide mortise and tenon joints are also available."
The Matchmaker has a awful lot plastic to suit my taste. Plastic is not bad but they use a bunch of it in all their templates.
I also have never seen one word about this machine on the wurl wide web.