Router Lifts - the next generation?

Yep. But it's way more than a 1/2 ton of iron- probably more like 3 or 4.

Reply to
Prometheus

There was a tip sent in from a subscriber in a recent issue of Woodsmith that suggested using a bar clamp as a router lift, and it looked pretty useful to me. Maybe you could try that out, and then you could use the extra money to get a different tool!

Reply to
Prometheus

The way the Bit Jack worked on my particular router is that it threaded on the shaft that had the jam nuts. these nuts could be positioned on the shaft to limit up and down travel dimilar th those on a drill press. On my model the threaded shaft on the router was too far from the 2 plunge shafts to make a nice parallel force of motion. Oddly if I twisted, turned the jack in another direction the operation was smoother. Unfortunately that position left the handle in odd position. I never got to the point of using the foot operated set up.

Yeah I read all those comments also. That said I contacted the service guys with Triton prior to making my purchase. The assure me that the would take care of any problems that might come up. Several of the issues have been corrected and I have seen none of the problems with the newer models. That said, mine would shut off during moderate feed rates with shallow cuts. The switch literally vibrated and shut off. Sooo I contacted Triton and they admitted to having heard of "1" other instance... Hummm.. They instructed me to return it to the store that I bought it from 2 months prior and exchange it for another unit. The new one has been doing fine. Fit and finish is a bit to be desired but performance and features have been a delight. Also I bought from Woodcraft. They have a 1 year bring it back if you are not satisfied policy so the risk was low. I have about 7 months left to see if any thing else happens but for the last 90 days nothing has been a problem. It was a toss up between this router and the big Milwaukee. Feature for feature the Triton took the race.

Reply to
Leon

Dorker, dorkin', dorkification - Dork is not derogatory at all. Kind'a like "Nerd", but not at all like "Geek"...

Reply to
patrick conroy

Mon, Oct 25, 2004, 9:04pm (EDT+4) patrick snipped-for-privacy@conroy-family.net (patrick=A0conroy) claims: derogatory term "worddorker", would by a $250,000 router? That seems Dorker, dorkin', dorkification - Dork is not derogatory at all. Kind'a like "Nerd", but not at all like "Geek"...

Interesting point of view. Just remember tho, if I were ever to call you a dork, it will be meant in as degoratory a way as you can ever imagine. Which is why I refer to trolls as dorks.

JOAT Eagles can soar ... but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Reply to
J T

Remember dorks spelled backward is skrod. Somethin' fishy here...

Reply to
jo4hn

If my boss tells me I "dorked it up" it's a bad thing. Therefore, wooddorking means, to me, doing bad things to wood. To call one a wooddorker, therefore, would be to cal them "one who messes up wood.

Merriam-Webster says "dork" is "perhaps an alteration of dick."

Dick has several meanings. One is "fellow or chap", another is "penis". When used as a verb, it means a mistake made with a penis. Wooddicker.

Dicker, Dickin',Dickification.

I guess, I still think it's derogatory, only slightly less so than using it's synonym: dick.

Reply to
Never Enough Money

the thing is, Wooddorking is a term native to the wreck. it was penned as a typo by one of our regulars some 5 or 6 years ago. I don't remember _who_ it was, but I remember the post. Here it is a term of endearment and frankly a badge of honor. you may use it as a derogatory, and outside of the wreck you'd probably be understood, but here it would be a misuse of the term.

Reply to
bridger

Yeah I see it your way too but in this news group, it is a lot like You Suck. If you boss sucks, that is not a good thing, ...... usually not a good thing.

Reply to
Leon

OK Joat, noted. And if I ever call you a "WebTV User"...

Reply to
patrick conroy

I have to agree. It depends on the context in which the word is used. Here in this NG, I've always taken it to simply mean, "one who works with wood". Whether the project turns out fine or is a pile of junk is irrelevant, it's just a familial name that one applies to themselves or a fellow woodworker.

Reply to
Upscale

Main Entry: skrod Pronunciation: 'skräd Function: noun Etymology: origin unknown a young fish (as a cod or haddock); especially : one split and boned for cooking: a bottom feeder

Main Entry: wooddorker Pronunciation: 'skräd Function: noun Etymology: origin unknown a young fish (as a cod or haddock); especially : one split and boned for cooking: a bottom feeder

Wow! I'd never even thought to consult Webster (1).

(1) The book-o-definitions, not the cute little black kid.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Bridger J:

If my memory serves me, the hand of O'Deen is/was in there somewhere in which case there is an honor by association.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Did you ever drive a taxi in Boston ?

(an old A.U.E joke)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

ok. I'll try not to be insulted. So just in case you're pulling my leg, I'll still not use it. There may be some other "me" out there that might take offense.

While we're on the subject of vocabulary unique to rec.woodowrking, what does "neaderthal" mean? I think it manes those that like hand tools, but I'm not sure. What's the opposite, i.e. what do you call those that like power tools?

Reply to
Never Enough Money

With one more "n", you hit the nail on the head. (Neanderthal)

Normite. After Norm Abram of New Yankee Workshop fame.

Reply to
alexy

Give a good finish.

UK practice is that shapers have collets, and the ones with the shaft, large head and separate knives are called spindle moulders. My shaper experience has been something of a disappointment, because the edge speed is too slow for optimum cutting. Spindle moulders use the same rpm on a much large cutter diameter, so they're OK.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Re: Router Lifts - the next generation? Group: rec.woodworking Date: Tue, Oct 26, 2004, 5:03am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@conroy-family.net (patrick=A0conroy) And if I ever call you a "WebTV User"...

Ah, you would mean I am an astute internet user, not given to frivolous, and trifling, expenditures of money, on items not required.

However, if you feel I "need" a real computer, feel free to ship me one. It will be grasciously accepted.