Router Lifts - the next generation?

Page 3 of 3
Never Enough Money wrote:

Sorry. Was it a wee bit close to the balls?

A very high end custom architectural wooddo..., err, woodworker. Most people never see our work unless their daddy is a gazzilionaire or they work for some Fortunate 500 company. OK, maybe if you've ever been to Lambeau Field/go to Vegas/are a patron of the arts...

The extra $100M or so gives you a larger table. We're somewheres in the 5' X 14' (ish)/might be 12'. Another $25M gets you multiple tooling (a carriage that's pre-loaded with all the goodies you will need/not just one bit at a time.

We do an enormous amount of radius work, everything from radius moldings to radius millwork walls. The CNC allows for making shaper jigs, radius plates and just about anything Al Gore's AutoCAD (2004 of course) can dish out.

It line bores. It has a saw head but for the most part it routs and shapes. Believe it or don't but mostly what goes through it is plain old particleboard. The thing here is that the parts and pieces have some consistency in which case we can measure it in a RCH/less than a gnat's ass.
Before CAD/CNC we spent a hellva lotta time ($$$) on our knees making full size shaper templates. I am/was quite good at swinging a big radii with a 100' steel tape and trammel bar. Gladly I no longer need to express these/those skills.

A'yup. That's why I bought a router lift. :-)

I'm not sure I speak for the other nay sayers but you've mis-understood my comments. I'm all over the router lift/recommend it at the drop of a hat/can't say enough nice things about it/built a god damned shrine for mine. It's the digi part that I think has gone 'round the bend. There are things you will learn in your shop. Most of these things will surprise you onna 'count of you'll try it once/twice/three times and you'll find on time number four you've got it aced. Getting your router cranked just right is one of those things that just ain't that hard to do.

Can I consider myself fess'd?
UA100
Sun, Oct 24, 2004, 7:33am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (NeverEnoughMoney) queries: <snip> The real question is what kind of woodworker, I'll refrain fromthe derogatory term "worddorker", would by a $250,000 router? <snip>
$250,000? I musta missed that.
I'd say none of you uses a router lift. I find that difficult to beleive. Surely there's someone out there willing to 'fess up.
I don't, for one. On the other hand, my needs/requirements are different that a lot of people. I've got a dedicated router table, with a fixed base router, and use a flush trim bit, period. Once it's in, that's it, no call adjustment.
But, times change - if, and when, I ever need/want a router lift, I'll probably make one.
JOAT Eagles can soar ... but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
On 24 Oct 2004 07:33:24 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Never Enough Money) wrote:

There was a tip sent in from a subscriber in a recent issue of Woodsmith that suggested using a bar clamp as a router lift, and it looked pretty useful to me. Maybe you could try that out, and then you could use the extra money to get a different tool!

On 24 Oct 2004 07:33:24 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Never Enough Money) wrote:

Dorker, dorkin', dorkification - Dork is not derogatory at all. Kind'a like "Nerd", but not at all like "Geek"...
Mon, Oct 25, 2004, 9:04pm (EDT+4) patrick snipped-for-privacy@conroy-family.net (patrickconroy) claims: derogatory term "worddorker", would by a $250,000 router? That seems Dorker, dorkin', dorkification - Dork is not derogatory at all. Kind'a like "Nerd", but not at all like "Geek"...
Interesting point of view. Just remember tho, if I were ever to call you a dork, it will be meant in as degoratory a way as you can ever imagine. Which is why I refer to trolls as dorks.
JOAT Eagles can soar ... but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
J T wrote:

jo4hn wrote:

Let's see,
Main Entry: skrod Pronunciation: 'skrd Function: noun Etymology: origin unknown a young fish (as a cod or haddock); especially : one split and boned for cooking: a bottom feeder
Main Entry: wooddorker Pronunciation: 'skrd Function: noun Etymology: origin unknown a young fish (as a cod or haddock); especially : one split and boned for cooking: a bottom feeder
Wow! I'd never even thought to consult Webster (1).
(1) The book-o-definitions, not the cute little black kid.
UA100

Did you ever drive a taxi in Boston ?
(an old A.U.E joke)

OK Joat, noted. And if I ever call you a "WebTV User"...
Re: Router Lifts - the next generation? Group: rec.woodworking Date: Tue, Oct 26, 2004, 5:03am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@conroy-family.net (patrickconroy) <snip> And if I ever call you a "WebTV User"...
Ah, you would mean I am an astute internet user, not given to frivolous, and trifling, expenditures of money, on items not required.
However, if you feel I "need" a real computer, feel free to ship me one. It will be grasciously accepted.
JOAT Eagles can soar ... but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
If my boss tells me I "dorked it up" it's a bad thing. Therefore, wooddorking means, to me, doing bad things to wood. To call one a wooddorker, therefore, would be to cal them "one who messes up wood.
Merriam-Webster says "dork" is "perhaps an alteration of dick."
Dick has several meanings. One is "fellow or chap", another is "penis". When used as a verb, it means a mistake made with a penis. Wooddicker.
Dicker, Dickin',Dickification.
I guess, I still think it's derogatory, only slightly less so than using it's synonym: dick.
(Never Enough

On 25 Oct 2004 19:14:11 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Never Enough Money) wrote:

the thing is, Wooddorking is a term native to the wreck. it was penned as a typo by one of our regulars some 5 or 6 years ago. I don't remember _who_ it was, but I remember the post. Here it is a term of endearment and frankly a badge of honor. you may use it as a derogatory, and outside of the wreck you'd probably be understood, but here it would be a misuse of the term.

I have to agree. It depends on the context in which the word is used. Here in this NG, I've always taken it to simply mean, "one who works with wood". Whether the project turns out fine or is a pile of junk is irrelevant, it's just a familial name that one applies to themselves or a fellow woodworker.
ok. I'll try not to be insulted. So just in case you're pulling my leg, I'll still not use it. There may be some other "me" out there that might take offense.
While we're on the subject of vocabulary unique to rec.woodowrking, what does "neaderthal" mean? I think it manes those that like hand tools, but I'm not sure. What's the opposite, i.e. what do you call those that like power tools?
wrote in message

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Never Enough Money) wrote:

Bridger J:

If my memory serves me, the hand of O'Deen is/was in there somewhere in which case there is an honor by association.
UA100

Yeah I see it your way too but in this news group, it is a lot like You Suck. If you boss sucks, that is not a good thing, ...... usually not a good thing.
Fri, Oct 22, 2004, 6:02pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (NeverEnoughMoney) says: http://www.jointech.com/ Looks like an advancment to me. Of course it cost almost $500.00, that's just for the lift, no router included.
At that kind of money, I think I'd just have dedicated routers in tables, at all heights I'd be using. Probably cheaper.
JOAT Eagles can soar ... but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.