Router Lifts - the next generation?

Not to nitpick, but I think you have an extra "0" to the right of the decimal in each of your numbers above. But I absolutely agree with your point. This is WOOD working, not metal fabrication.

Reply to
alexy

You will get more variation from other factors. Your Router / Lift combination doesn't have to be super accurate. A slight warp in the board, a little sawdust under it or between the fence, some flex on the tabletop or fence, sanding, effects of humidity, etc. will negate the accuracy to

1/1000" from any tool. And, what about the rest of your project? Anything you cut with other tools will be less accurate, and as soon as you start sanding.....

So, reasonable accuracy and a well built, easy to use accessory is the key. I use a PC690 under my table without a lift. Eye-balling, a ruler with

1/64ths graduations and most importantly, set-up pieces and test pieces, does the trick for me. Would I like a lift? Yes, and will probably buy one some time. But the height adjustment accuracy won't be the top priority.

Michel.

Reply to
MJT

Just so we remain completely accurate....

My caculator says 1/128 = 0.0078 = ~ 0.008. You had an extra zero. That's eight times less accurate than a 1/1000'th machine.

Similarly 1/64 is close to 0.016, not 0.0016, as you say.

Reply to
Never Enough Money

Ouch.

Actually, after all the "professional" feedback, this woodworker will NOT drop money for the lift. Even if the feedback had been "it's great you've got to get it" it would probably not have happened -- it's so low down on the priority lists.

The real question is what kind of woodworker, I'll refrain from the derogatory term "worddorker", would by a $250,000 router? That seems high even for a factory floor. Is it for mouldings? Surely it does more than route.

BTW, I am tired of reaching under my table and repeatedly adjusting measuring, adjusting-measuring, etc. until I creep in on an accurate enough setting......

Also question to the whole group, not just UA100: given all the anti-router lift pro-shaper feedback, I'd say none of you uses a router lift. I find that difficult to beleive. Surely there's someone out there willing to 'fess up.

Reply to
Never Enough Money

Good point. I may be mixing up the term accuracy with the term precision.

However, from a logical point of view it is incorrect to say a $600,000 saw can be a $500 in everything. The $60K mama probably has much more horsepower and a bunch of other stuff -- that's true. But just like a hang-glider can make a sharper turn than and F-16 Figher, a $500 saw might be able to beat a $60,000 saw at _some_ things.

I'm debating your logic _not_ whether your statement that a $60K saw is better than a $500 one. If the router in question is much lighter or smaller it is possible that a $500 lift on a $250 router could be comparable to a $60K setup that is much bigger an requires more mechanics to solve the precision/accuracy problems.

Just my, 2 cents - not trying to start a posting war.

Reply to
Never Enough Money

I use the Jessem MAST-R-LIFT which is the same as the Jointech. Yes I like it. I got tired of going under the table to fiddle with the height, now its just a matter of turning a crank from above. Another thing is the height is repeatable. I've tried that without the lift with just a router, again more fiddling and its basically hit or miss. Bottom line is I would buy it again without question. The only thing that made me put off buying one for a couple of years was the price. I should of bought it sooner which would of saved me alot of aggravation. Now to the nifty digital one, would I buy that one? Probably not because what happens when the electronics fail? I can rebuild a mechanical one if need be, but electronics forget about it.

Reply to
KS

I don't think any home shop will have one, but it is not all that out of rance for a procution ship. I've beenin factories that make speaker cabinets. I'd guess at an investment of $15,000,000 or more. And that was not one of the biggest.

I have a Benchdog. Paid $230 for it. Did I need it? No. Did I want it? YES. I enjoy using it and it makes adjustment easy and I can sneak up on any measurement. Would I pay $500 for a digital? No, I have a limit to my toys and could not justify that much money for my use. Benchdog seems to have eliminated that model and now only sells the "pro lift" at about $100 more. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Sorry. Was it a wee bit close to the balls?

A very high end custom architectural wooddo..., err, woodworker. Most people never see our work unless their daddy is a gazzilionaire or they work for some Fortunate 500 company. OK, maybe if you've ever been to Lambeau Field/go to Vegas/are a patron of the arts...

The extra $100M or so gives you a larger table. We're somewheres in the 5' X 14' (ish)/might be 12'. Another $25M gets you multiple tooling (a carriage that's pre-loaded with all the goodies you will need/not just one bit at a time.

We do an enormous amount of radius work, everything from radius moldings to radius millwork walls. The CNC allows for making shaper jigs, radius plates and just about anything Al Gore's AutoCAD (2004 of course) can dish out.

It line bores. It has a saw head but for the most part it routs and shapes. Believe it or don't but mostly what goes through it is plain old particleboard. The thing here is that the parts and pieces have some consistency in which case we can measure it in a RCH/less than a gnat's ass.

Before CAD/CNC we spent a hellva lotta time ($$$) on our knees making full size shaper templates. I am/was quite good at swinging a big radii with a 100' steel tape and trammel bar. Gladly I no longer need to express these/those skills.

A'yup. That's why I bought a router lift. :-)

I'm not sure I speak for the other nay sayers but you've mis-understood my comments. I'm all over the router lift/recommend it at the drop of a hat/can't say enough nice things about it/built a god damned shrine for mine. It's the digi part that I think has gone 'round the bend. There are things you will learn in your shop. Most of these things will surprise you onna 'count of you'll try it once/twice/three times and you'll find on time number four you've got it aced. Getting your router cranked just right is one of those things that just ain't that hard to do.

Can I consider myself fess'd?

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

I think what 5 figures gives you aside from a half a ton of iron is CNC....

Reply to
bridger

Fri, Oct 22, 2004, 6:02pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Never=A0Enough=A0Money) says:

Looks like an advancment to me. Of course it cost almost $500.00, that's just for the lift, no router included.

At that kind of money, I think I'd just have dedicated routers in tables, at all heights I'd be using. Probably cheaper.

JOAT Eagles can soar ... but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Reply to
J T

Sun, Oct 24, 2004, 9:44am snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca (MJT) says: most importantly, set-up pieces and test pieces, does the trick for me.

That's about what I was thinking. I don't have a router lift, and don't need one. But, if I ever do, I've always figured on making one from an old car scissors jack I have sitting around.

JOAT Eagles can soar ... but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Reply to
J T

I thought that mine was, but realized it was the 4x4's that I raised my bench with... *g*

Reply to
mac davis

Sun, Oct 24, 2004, 7:33am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Never=A0Enough=A0Money) queries: The real question is what kind of woodworker, I'll refrain from the derogatory term "worddorker", would by a $250,000 router?

$250,000? I musta missed that.

I'd say none of you uses a router lift. I find that difficult to beleive. Surely there's someone out there willing to 'fess up.

I don't, for one. On the other hand, my needs/requirements are different that a lot of people. I've got a dedicated router table, with a fixed base router, and use a flush trim bit, period. Once it's in, that's it, no call adjustment.

But, times change - if, and when, I ever need/want a router lift, I'll probably make one.

JOAT Eagles can soar ... but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Reply to
J T

and a major tax write off..

Reply to
mac davis

Nope, I ultimately was not happy with it. It, IMHO is a good idea and is well built but the router being lifted from one side and or the threaded adjustment shaft in the router causes it to easily bind. I found that it made adjusting the bit height about 10% easier than using nothing at all. I was using an old and large Bosch 1611 plunge router. I ended up buying a Triton and I am Very happy with its features in particular ease of height adjustments and bit changes above the table without removing the router.

Reply to
Leon

IMHO still too high. You can buy a new router with router lift features built in, in the $300 range.

Reply to
Leon

IIRC the latest WoodSmith or Shop Notes magazine has router lift plans that use a pipe clamp and short pipe for lifting the router.

Reply to
Leon

Leon -- Thanks for the comments. I am still intrigued by it, especially the foot pedal because it seems it would make it easier/safer to do non-full-length operations, among other things. From what you wrote, seems that the best chance would be with a smaller router with limited integrated adjustment means.

Also, FWIW, I noted at Amazon some negative comments about the Triton -- though everyone seemed to like the basic design. Apparently qc issues, but they were from 18 months ago. Considering some of your posts about how determined you are to get service if you find a tool lacking - components failing -- I assume you did not confront these problems with your router. Again, thanks. -- Igor

Reply to
igor

By Jove, you're right! Thanks for the correction...

Reply to
Prometheus

It could be, but it seems a little unlikely, given that the router is not built into the lift, and the lift is not built into a table. Also, as an FYI, the expensive industrial equipment is usually not that much more complex mechanically, it is just much sturdier, and less prone to losing it's adjustments if you bang it a little.

Reply to
Prometheus