Router Lifts - the next generation?

Page 1 of 3
http://www.jointech.com /
Looks like an advancment to me. Of course it cost almost $500.00, that's just for the lift, no router included.
There was so much backlash in the previous version of their lift, they HAD to engineer a solution: looks like your link shows the fruits of their efforts.
David
Never Enough Money wrote:

says...

coughcoughBullcoughShitcough
When compared to others during the same time frame.
$500 ffor lift, $100+ for bits, add materials for table, time to make it etc. Perhaps a Incra, add another coupla hunnert...
At what point do we start thinking about a shaper? At $549 on Amazon its a toss-up:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)98501159/sr=8-4/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i4_xgl60/002-8596406-9921630?v=glance&s=home-garden&nP7846
--

Greg

"Never Enough Money" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Greg Millen wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)98501159/sr=8-4/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i4_xgl60/002-8596406-9921630?v=glance&s=home-garden&nP7846
On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 13:14:49 +1000, "Greg Millen"

Or the Griz G1035 for $425 (+$58 freight) "Built with plenty of muscle to take on most shaping challenges, our mid-sized, 1-1/2 H.P. Model G1035 Shaper offers the perfect, low-priced alternative for the serious hobbyist or small-shop owner. The G1035 offers precision wheel adjustment, two spindle speeds, a finely milled cast iron table, interchangeable spindles and sealed ball bearing movement - all for less than the price of a router and router table!"
Or the ShopFox G4792 2hp for $675 (+$78) "Designed to compete with the power of larger machines while capitalizing on the mobility of smaller models, this new Shop Fox shaper offers the perfect balance for serious woodworkers. The extra power of the 2 H.P. motor will have you racing through profiles in even the heaviest hardwoods, and the large 24" x 21" table gives you the added working surface found only on larger shapers. If you've been looking for the perfect shaper to put in your shop, you've found it with the Shop Fox!"
I love my ShopFox mortiser. ('cept for the cloggy chisel/bit interface, but that's true on all brands) Fit 'n finish is vgood.
Anywho, that's no toss-up. Drop kick that routah. It's outta heah.
--
"If the promise of the Declaration of Independence is ever to be fulfilled,
it will be the Libertarian Party which fulfills it. If the Constitution is
Greg Millen wrote:

Yahbut, which would you rather have, An Ultimate Router Table or something creamy colored (coloured Greg) from Amazondotcom?
UA100, owner/builder of An Ultimate Router Table...
And for about $325 you can buy a Triton or Milwaukee router that basically does the same thing and you end up with a new router.

Certainly looks good. I question the ability to zero out a bit though. They state you only have to do it the first time you ever use a bit.
Given the variability of putting a bit into the router, I'd think it could easily vary a few thousandths each time nulling any previous settings. I don't seat the bit on the very bottom of my router.
Other direct drive units (like Benchdog) have a similar indicator like they have in the Pro series. Nice feature. The Pro series seems to be priced competitively. Well worth considering either model from what I can see here.
Wow. I got a lot of negative replies on that post. Are we talking about the same thig? I saw an electronic router lift that is activated with a button, has electronic control for backlash, and a digital readout. Why are folks comparing that to shapers? I must be missing something.....
Wouldn't it be more apropriate to compare to JessEm's Rout-R-Lift, or Bench Dog's ProLift, or the Woodpecker's Precision Lift?
The routers with built in lifts are a lot less accurate (I think -- on the order of 1/128'th of an inch versus 1/1000'th).
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Never Enough Money) wrote in message

For the price of the lift, router table, and router it would be cheaper to buy a shaper. I think in the case of all the router lifts it will simply be a matter time before they become obsolete. They are an expensive fix for a problem that is being addressed my many router manufacturers already. PC, Milwaukee, Bosch, and Triton have already eliminated a need for a lift at all. The electronic lifts with electronic read out and electronic back lash control is way overkill.

But its new and since is it digital it MUST be better.
Good craftsmanship will always be well done by a craftsman. A hack with craftsman's tools is still a hack. (I think I'm in the middle. OK, low middle)

OTOH, I think my middle is getting lower.

I thought that mine was, but realized it was the 4x4's that I raised my bench with... *g*

What can a shaper not do that a table-mounted router w/ a lift can do? My sense is that a shaper can only work on the edge of wood -- e.g., not cutting a groove. Wrong?
I've been considering a new router and getting the Veritas® Router Bit Jack, about which I cannot quite figure out how it can be so relatively inexpensive, assuming it meets the normal good LV standards. And, I like the foot pedal setup. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?SID=&ccurrency=2&pageC039&category=1,43000
Leon, I did find an old post where you mentioned having the Bit Jack. Still happy w/ it? What router are you using w/ it? TIA. -- Igor
igor:

With a collet a shaper can cut grooves.
UA100

RPM's are a little low for smaller bits though.
really, router tables and shapers are different beasts, with some overlap of function. if you're doing mostly small work, short run and need maximum versatility you prolly want a router table. if you're making a lot of chips, using big profile cutters and need the machine to run all day you'd better get a shaper.

Nope, I ultimately was not happy with it. It, IMHO is a good idea and is well built but the router being lifted from one side and or the threaded adjustment shaft in the router causes it to easily bind. I found that it made adjusting the bit height about 10% easier than using nothing at all. I was using an old and large Bosch 1611 plunge router. I ended up buying a Triton and I am Very happy with its features in particular ease of height adjustments and bit changes above the table without removing the router.

Leon -- Thanks for the comments. I am still intrigued by it, especially the foot pedal because it seems it would make it easier/safer to do non-full-length operations, among other things. From what you wrote, seems that the best chance would be with a smaller router with limited integrated adjustment means.
Also, FWIW, I noted at Amazon some negative comments about the Triton -- though everyone seemed to like the basic design. Apparently qc issues, but they were from 18 months ago. Considering some of your posts about how determined you are to get service if you find a tool lacking - components failing -- I assume you did not confront these problems with your router. Again, thanks. -- Igor

The way the Bit Jack worked on my particular router is that it threaded on the shaft that had the jam nuts. these nuts could be positioned on the shaft to limit up and down travel dimilar th those on a drill press. On my model the threaded shaft on the router was too far from the 2 plunge shafts to make a nice parallel force of motion. Oddly if I twisted, turned the jack in another direction the operation was smoother. Unfortunately that position left the handle in odd position. I never got to the point of using the foot operated set up.

Yeah I read all those comments also. That said I contacted the service guys with Triton prior to making my purchase. The assure me that the would take care of any problems that might come up. Several of the issues have been corrected and I have seen none of the problems with the newer models. That said, mine would shut off during moderate feed rates with shallow cuts. The switch literally vibrated and shut off. Sooo I contacted Triton and they admitted to having heard of "1" other instance... Hummm.. They instructed me to return it to the store that I bought it from 2 months prior and exchange it for another unit. The new one has been doing fine. Fit and finish is a bit to be desired but performance and features have been a delight. Also I bought from Woodcraft. They have a 1 year bring it back if you are not satisfied policy so the risk was low. I have about 7 months left to see if any thing else happens but for the last 90 days nothing has been a problem. It was a toss up between this router and the big Milwaukee. Feature for feature the Triton took the race.