Router Lifts - the next generation?

like an advancment to me. Of course it cost almost $500.00, that's just for the lift, no router included.

Reply to
Never Enough Money

There was so much backlash in the previous version of their lift, they HAD to engineer a solution: looks like your link shows the fruits of their efforts.

David

Never Enough M>

David

coughcoughBullcoughShitcough

When compared to others during the same time frame.

Reply to
KS

$500 ffor lift, $100+ for bits, add materials for table, time to make it etc. Perhaps a Incra, add another coupla hunnert...

At what point do we start thinking about a shaper? At $549 on Amazon its a toss-up:

Greg Millen

And for about $325 you can buy a Triton or Milwaukee router that basically does the same thing and you end up with a new router.

Reply to
Leon

Certainly looks good. I question the ability to zero out a bit though. They state you only have to do it the first time you ever use a bit.

Given the variability of putting a bit into the router, I'd think it could easily vary a few thousandths each time nulling any previous settings. I don't seat the bit on the very bottom of my router.

Other direct drive units (like Benchdog) have a similar indicator like they have in the Pro series. Nice feature. The Pro series seems to be priced competitively. Well worth considering either model from what I can see here.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

DamnYankee

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 13:14:49 +1000, "Greg Millen" calmly ranted:

"Built with plenty of muscle to take on most shaping challenges, our mid-sized, 1-1/2 H.P. Model G1035 Shaper offers the perfect, low-priced alternative for the serious hobbyist or small-shop owner. The G1035 offers precision wheel adjustment, two spindle speeds, a finely milled cast iron table, interchangeable spindles and sealed ball bearing movement - all for less than the price of a router and router table!"

Or the ShopFox G4792 2hp for $675 (+$78) "Designed to compete with the power of larger machines while capitalizing on the mobility of smaller models, this new Shop Fox® shaper offers the perfect balance for serious woodworkers. The extra power of the 2 H.P. motor will have you racing through profiles in even the heaviest hardwoods, and the large 24" x 21" table gives you the added working surface found only on larger shapers. If you've been looking for the perfect shaper to put in your shop, you've found it with the Shop Fox®!"

I love my ShopFox mortiser. ('cept for the cloggy chisel/bit interface, but that's true on all brands) Fit 'n finish is vgood.

Anywho, that's no toss-up. Drop kick that routah. It's outta heah.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Wow. I got a lot of negative replies on that post. Are we talking about the same thig? I saw an electronic router lift that is activated with a button, has electronic control for backlash, and a digital readout. Why are folks comparing that to shapers? I must be missing something.....

Wouldn't it be more apropriate to compare to JessEm's Rout-R-Lift, or Bench Dog's ProLift, or the Woodpecker's Precision Lift?

The routers with built in lifts are a lot less accurate (I think -- on the order of 1/128'th of an inch versus 1/1000'th).

Reply to
Never Enough Money

For the price of the lift, router table, and router it would be cheaper to buy a shaper. I think in the case of all the router lifts it will simply be a matter time before they become obsolete. They are an expensive fix for a problem that is being addressed my many router manufacturers already. PC, Milwaukee, Bosch, and Triton have already eliminated a need for a lift at all. The electronic lifts with electronic read out and electronic back lash control is way overkill.

Reply to
Leon

But its new and since is it digital it MUST be better.

Good craftsmanship will always be well done by a craftsman. A hack with craftsman's tools is still a hack. (I think I'm in the middle. OK, low middle)

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You are correct; plenty of negative comments were made. And yes, the Jessem should be compared to the PRL.

David

Never Enough M> Wow. I got a lot of negative replies on that post. Are we talking

Reply to
David

What can a shaper not do that a table-mounted router w/ a lift can do? My sense is that a shaper can only work on the edge of wood -- e.g., not cutting a groove. Wrong?

I've been considering a new router and getting the Veritas® Router Bit Jack, about which I cannot quite figure out how it can be so relatively inexpensive, assuming it meets the normal good LV standards. And, I like the foot pedal setup.

I did find an old post where you mentioned having the Bit Jack. Still happy w/ it? What router are you using w/ it? TIA. -- Igor

Reply to
igor

OTOH, I think my middle is getting lower.

Reply to
igor

In defence of that router lift, they also showed a model with the same construction but is mechanically operated, not digital. It was $200 less I believe.

Reply to
Upscale

Looks like someone(s) lacking basic wooddorking skills will soon be out five hunnert dollars.

UA100, who to be truthful, has relied on a $250,000 router (at work of course) from time to time...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Yahbut, which would you rather have, An Ultimate Router Table or something creamy colored (coloured Greg) from Amazondotcom?

UA100, owner/builder of An Ultimate Router Table...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

igor:

With a collet a shaper can cut grooves.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

RPM's are a little low for smaller bits though.

really, router tables and shapers are different beasts, with some overlap of function. if you're doing mostly small work, short run and need maximum versatility you prolly want a router table. if you're making a lot of chips, using big profile cutters and need the machine to run all day you'd better get a shaper.

Reply to
bridger

Because it's way too expensive for a router accessory. It puts a regular router into a shaper's price range, without the extra power and sturdy base.

Not to nitpick, but a 128th of an inch is only about .0008" I was under the impression that anything closer than a 64th (.0016") was considered extremely accurate and fine craftsmanship when it comes to woodworking. What is it you intend to rout that needs a tolerance of .0001"?

It's also important to note that there is going to be an accuracy tolerance on the lift, and it is not going to be one thousandth. I run a couple of $60,000 saws, and the initial tolerance is .002 for those. No way is a router lift going to beat that for $500. You still have to measure when you set up- it'd just be easier to fine tune.

Reply to
Prometheus