Router lift recommendations

Page 1 of 5

Has anyone bought or used a router lift that they really like or should stay away from?
Considering one for my Bosch router. Leaning towards the Bench Dog ProLift.
MJ
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 18:12:25 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

I like my Jet Xacta Lift. It's really a JessEm Rout-R-Lift in drag, but I still like it. The only fault I have with it is that it doesn't fit a "standard" table. The plate is something like 11-3/4" X 14-3/4" (rather than 9-1/4" X 11-3/4").
(Amazon.com product link shortened)

I have that one and love it. Very precise, easy to set.

------------------------------------ SFWIW, Cerritos College equipped ALL of their router stations with Bench Dog units for their Wood Manufacturing Technologies units.
NICE.
Lew

BTW, I was looking at router table tops in the Atlanta Rockler store last weekend (none fit my Xacta lift) and the sales guy there commented that "since they'd bought Bench Dog..." (they didn't make tops for other lifts). True? Bench Dog is now a Rockler house name?

I have it ... excellent unit!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

WAY too much money. Buy a shaper already!

Are you adding in the cost of the sharp things?
On Jul 16, 8:38pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Shapers can run 1/2" router bits.... in fact, they do so quite well. A set of cutters, the insert kind, don't have to cost an arm and a leg either. One nice thing is the induction motor of a shaper. quiet and constant speed. Usually pretty nice fence (two piece) dust collection, and a nice sturdy table. This looks like a lot of machine: http://www.grizzly.com/products/1-1-2-HP-Shaper/G1035

A lot of what a router (in table) is asked to do really is a shaper's job but the router is more versatile. I'll stick with the router. ...at least for now. ;-)
Those huge 3.5" dia blades scare the hell out of me.
I'll stick with the router, also. Somewhat limited but more versatile.
B.I.L. worked on a shaper professionally and made a vest of 1 x 2 pine, in a ribs like fashion. He tooks some ridicule for a long time until a few years later a shaper did throw a blade and it stuck in the vest. WHEW !
wrote:
A lot of what a router (in table) is asked to do really is a shaper's job but the router is more versatile. I'll stick with the router. ...at least for now. ;-)
On Jul 16, 11:51pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

If you have to have one, a router is a better choice. But many people I know will mount their router in a table and leave it there. In that case, I think a shaper is a better investment.

I now have four. Am I allowed to leave one in the table (lift)?

If you have to have one, a router is a better choice. But many people I know will mount their router in a table and leave it there. In that case, I think a shaper is a better investment.
Or several routers ... :)
"Robatoy" wrote:

Shapers can run 1/2" router bits.... in fact, they do so quite well. A set of cutters, the insert kind, don't have to cost an arm and a leg either. One nice thing is the induction motor of a shaper. quiet and constant speed. Usually pretty nice fence (two piece) dust collection, and a nice sturdy table. This looks like a lot of machine: http://www.grizzly.com/products/1-1-2-HP-Shaper/G1035
------------------------------------ If you are starting from scratch with say only a router table (need to buy a router and a lift), one comment above jumps out and grabs you.
"One nice thing is the induction motor of a shaper. quiet and constant speed."
Not only is the above shaper package competitively priced, but an induction motor is a major bonus, IMHO.
Lew

I do not recomment any Grizzly machinery. I have had lotsa problems with a Grizzly machine (GO454). Don't get me started on that. A used machine made in the USA would be about the same cost and 10 times better.
I do, however, use Grizzly shaper cutters, and they seem to cost about the same or less than some router bits I have seen. There are some high-dollar brands of shaper cutters that I really can't afford, being a small shop. (I know two people with large shops and have an inventory of cutters that would cost more than my GMC pickup)
Shaper cutters go a lot longer before getting dull, IMHO.
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 02:33:42 -0500, "woodstuff"

And the other 99% of us have owned several Griz machines and haven't had a lick of trouble with -any- of them. YMMV.
-- Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels, throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions, without which the body cannot subsist in its vigor, nor the soul act with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711

about
Well, I only reason bought the Griz 'cuz a poster said that a Domino would hit my wife on the head and I might get another one also. Since she moved out and is going to file for a divorce, this might simplify matters... I really want that Domino, and I sure would miss her :-)
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 11:22:38 -0500, "woodstuff"

Hmm, we're talkin' router v. shaper and you bring up a planer and an overpriced bisquicker along with a divorce. Respectfully, methinks you have problems other than Griz, sir. ;)
Best of luck in the estate splitting and woodworking tool acquisition.