Router letter template on wood laminate?

I'm thinking of getting one of these:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&pI305&cat=1,43000
Anybody have one? Good or bad comments about it? I plan to use it with a PC-690 router.
For the project I have in mind, I envision making a laminate of two different species (say, maple and walnut). The idea is to cut through the top layer into the bottom, so the contrasting colors make the letters stand out. Is this a reasonable plan?

When you use a 60 or a 90 degree V-bit, that can look really nice. Watch for burns.
"Roy Smith" wrote:

Standard practice for lamicoid nameplates used in the electrical industry for example.
Black or red plastic sheet is laminated to white plastic sheet then engraved with a "V" cutter.
White face up you get either black or red letters.
Black or red side up, you get white letters.
Have fun.
Lew
Roy Smith wrote:

I have a similar system and the PC router. I have used it maybe 3 or 4 times. Setup still takes time but once that investment is made, it does the job rather well. Perhaps not completely fool proof but good enough. As to the contrasting colors, I stained the sign with a dark color then routed the letters through to the light colored Jummywood. Got the required "ooh and ahh".     mahalo,     jo4hn
I have one almost the same from Rockler, and it makes pretty good signs. But the plastic letters can wear out ( operator stupidity ) when you touch them with the cutter. I have also seen problems with the clamping system, keeping the stencil aligned with the board. One screw-up, and you better find a new board.
All said, they work pretty well. I'll have to try the colored wood thing next time. Painting the letters with paint is a pain unless you run it thru the plainer after painting.
Final thought- How do you clamp a wide board like a sign to get a thin glue joint? Cauls??? Thanks.....