router joints using jigs?

Do home made wood jigs work for cutting dovetail joints with the router? I wanted to make a box but didn't want to spend money on a aluminum jig but I want to cut them with my router? Any suggestions, Thanks

Box joint for boxes, drawer joint for drawers work just beautifully on a router and homemade jig.

IIRC either WoodSmith and or ShopNotes have the plans for making a DT Jig. That said, you will more likely spend more money and time building your own jig than on a house brand cheap DT jig. House brand DT jigs tend to not have the frills but they do work and the results can be as good as those achieved with the $500 jigs. I used a Sears Craftsman for many years before going to the Leigh.

This is relatively cheap and supposedly easy to use. http://stots.com/tm.htm I have no experience with it though. I bought a PC 4212 with a 20% discount and have been very happy with it.