Router help

I would like to try some wood carving with a router (signs & such) but I'm not sure what kind of router would be the better choice. I currently have a Dewalt 625 (3HP plunge) in my table but I was thinking something smaller would be better for carving out the lettering or doing more detail work. Grizzly has a 1 HP plunge router for $59 or would a smaller fixed base router be better? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I have no real artistic talent so I would be using templates or something similar.
Thanks...mitch

cutting grooves for lettering doesn't take much horsepower, and a lightweight router is easier to handle. however, a heavy router is more stable.
go to a real (not home depot or lowes) tool store and look at some routers. look for compatibility with porter cabel template guides. look for something comfortable in your hands.
they range in size from tiny laminate trimmers to indistrial power units that are waaay too big to use handheld...
I went to Harbor Freight Tools and, for 20 dollars, picked up one of those rotary dywall cut out tools. It came with 1/8 and 1/4 colletts, and turns at 30,000 rpm. These things are a LOT more poweful than I ever imagined. The plastic base is rather flimsy, and It didn't last three days, but other than that, I have no complaints.
Group: rec.woodworking Date: Sun, Jul 25, 2004, 1:35pm (EDT-2) From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Mitch) I would like to try some wood carving with a router (signs & such) but I'm not sure what kind of router would be the better choice. I currently have a Dewalt 625 (3HP plunge) in my table but I was thinking something smaller would be better for carving out the lettering or doing more detail work. Grizzly has a 1 HP plunge router for $59 or would a smaller fixed base router be better? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I have no real artistic talent so I would be using templates or something similar. Thanks...mitch
calmly ranted:

http://www.masterwoodcarver.com/ Ray, World's Most Humble Woodcarver (just ask him) uses a smaller DW routah, maybe a 621.
- The advantage of exercising every day is that you die healthier. ------------ http://diversify.com Dynamic Websites, PHP Apps, MySQL databases