Router for Leigh D4

Is there a preference as to which router to use with the Leigh D4 jig? I have the DeWalt 625 but would rather step down to something a little lighter in weight. What works for you?
Because I also do a lot of blind dove tails with my Leigh D4, I wanted a router that had a very precise and easy to adjust height mechanism. Since fixed base routers tend to feel less top heavy than plunge routers in that the handles are near the base vs. some where else depending on the cutting depth, I went with a fixed base also. Variable speed would be a nice feature. And yes, I prefer the 2 wrench routers vs. the 1 wrench routers that require 2 hands doing two different things to tighten or loosen the collet. So, in August of 1998 I bought the Bosch 1617EVS specifically to use with my Leigh jig. Since then there have been many outer routers with these features that have been introduced.

lighter
Also has the other prerequisite (for Through Dovetails) - a collar that STAYS centered.
Now if only they could make that switch a bit more convenient....

So, in August of 1998 I bought the Bosch 1617EVS specifically to

lighter
One that spins the straight and dovetail bits. I don't have a trim router, but I would suspect that even one of these could be used, though a 1.5hp router is less likely to stall in dense woods. Look for something with a stable base and enough power. I'm not familiar with the DeWalt, but I suspect it would be fine.
I don't think weight is a big issue here. The router is being guided on a template, so it's not like you are freehand routing.
Cheers, Eric
"Ed Clark" wrote in message

lighter
I have a reconditioned PC 690 that I use strictly for the D4 ... rarely does the DT bit come out.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/28/04

does
|Is there a preference as to which router to use with the Leigh D4 jig? I |have the DeWalt 625 but would rather step down to something a little lighter |in weight. What works for you?
Say it isn't so. As I wrote in another thread, I just ordered a D4 so I have no personal experience. However, I also have a '625 that I planned to use.
For what it's worth in the Leigh Video the router of choice is the '625.
Wes
I use a Milwaukee BodyGrip. Light enough, Awesome collet. Low center of gravity.

lighter
I use a DW610 with a Pat Warner base. I can't get my PC690 guide centered. I prefer the balance of the 610.

lighter