Router depth gauge

Page 2 of 2

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 17:25:17 GMT, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

seems fine to me. The accuracy is limited to your ability to read the tick marks on the ruler. It has both imperial and metric measurements.
Pete
. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .
"The3rd Earl Of Derby"

Calipers or a dial indicator mounted on a block also perform perfectly.
Dave

I'd use a 4" Double Square. That sucker's handy!
Bruce Barnett wrote:

That's what I use. I set it to the depth I want, set it on the ruler end and raise the bit/cutter until the top tip just nicks the head. I then make a test cut, but it's usually within a 32nd.
The more difficult task for me is adjusting the width of cut, especially on the shaper. This is where a tool like the Trend Depth Gauge could really shine. Set your fences dead straight with each other, set the gauge to the depth you want, then butt the fence back until the outside tip of the cutter just nicks the ruler. I'd imagine you could get it within the same 32nd right out of the gate. Unfortunately it doesn't look like the Trend gauge has the necessary width to handle most shaper cutters.
I wonder if anyone makes a similar gauge with "feet" that are set wider apart and perhaps a little bit larger overall... That would be timesaver for me for sure.
JP