ROUTER DADO JIG

http://www.newwoodworker.com/rtrdadojig.html

I would call it a straight edge as it does not insure that the dado being cut will fit the piece that fits in it. I designed a dado jig that insures a perfect fit every time with no measuring.
"Leon" wrote

insures
... and, if I'm looking at it correctly, you better have a concentric router base.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/09/07

All MY routers have square bases. Some have deliberately 'off-centre' bases.
Wed, Dec 12, 2007, 8:27am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Leon) doth sayeth: I would call it a straight edge <snip>
As long and no one thinks I'm the one that names these things. I just use whatever they call it - even when it sounds stupid.
(Leon)

LOL ;~)
On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 08:27:13 -0600, "Leon"

I like Leon's better... <G>
I use it often!

I found a new use for it last week. I used it to cut hinge mortises on paired chest doors 2 at a time. I put the mating doors together with the hinge sides together in the middle of the jig. Then I cut 2 spacers the same width as the hinge to establish the width to set the jig at. I then used the spacers as stops to limit how far into the doors the router would cut.

Care to share the design?

6 pictures on 2 posts on A.B.P.W.
Morris Dove had/has these pictures on his site also.

One other important note this jig requires the use of a TOP bearing flush trim bit. I use a 1/2" bit.
Leon wrote:

Leon's jig is much more elaborate than the one that I posted a description of in another post.
I don't know it's much more accurate, but it's likely easier to set up.
--
Tanus

This is not really a sig.

Where is than post? Is there a link?
Leon wrote:
> I have been looking to get my first router. This is for occasional > hobby use. I am thinking of getting either 690LR, a fixed base router > ( $84) or 693LRPK, a kit with fix and plunge base($184). I have a > question about the base. If I buy the 690LR fixed base router now ( to > keep the cost down), can I buy only a plunge base later and mount the > motor into that? > > Initially I will not have a router table. Is the fixed base router > useful at all without being mounted on a router table? Initially I > will be doing simple dado/rabbet ( maybe dovetail if I get enough > courage :-) or simple edging. No fancy paneling. > > Thanks. > > -Dipu
I have a table. It's not a great table, but it works. You can make an approximation of a table with a straight piece of wood and two clamps. That will certainly be enough to cut dadoes and rabbets, at least for a few cuts.
I also have a jig that I use to cut dadoes with that's simple to build and cheap. It's two pieces of wood, longer than the width of board that you're dadoing. The first piece (A) is a 1x2. The second piece of wood (B) is wider than the distance from the edge of your router base to the inside edge of the bit you're using.
Screw piece A to piece B flush on one side. Measure from the INSIDE of piece A across piece B til it's about 1/4" wider than the distance from the outside of your router base to the edge of the router bit (mounted in the collet). Rip along that measured line.
Then butt the router base against the 1x2 and rout the edge you've just sawed. You now have a custom made dado jig for that size of bit. The (routed) edge of piece B will line up along the edge of your marked dado.
This takes almost longer to describe than it does to build. It's also easier to build than describe.
When you've finished, paint it bright yellow so you don't lose it.
--
Tanus

This is not really a sig.
Thanks.