ROUTER DADO JIG

I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
J T

cut will fit the piece that fits in it. I designed a dado jig that insures a perfect fit every time with no measuring.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote

... and, if I'm looking at it correctly, you better have a concentric router base.

Reply to
Swingman

Wed, Dec 12, 2007, 8:27am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Leon) doth sayeth: I would call it a straight edge

As long and no one thinks I'm the one that names these things. I just use whatever they call it - even when it sounds stupid.

JOAT I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
J T

LOL ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I like Leon's better...

I use it often!

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

I found a new use for it last week. I used it to cut hinge mortises on paired chest doors 2 at a time. I put the mating doors together with the hinge sides together in the middle of the jig. Then I cut 2 spacers the same width as the hinge to establish the width to set the jig at. I then used the spacers as stops to limit how far into the doors the router would cut.

Reply to
Leon

Care to share the design?

Reply to
SBH

6 pictures on 2 posts on A.B.P.W.

Morris Dove had/has these pictures on his site also.

Reply to
Leon

One other important note this jig requires the use of a TOP bearing flush trim bit. I use a 1/2" bit.

Reply to
Leon

Leon's jig is much more elaborate than the one that I posted a description of in another post.

I don't know it's much more accurate, but it's likely easier to set up.

Reply to
Tanus

Reply to
Leon

I don't have a link and my PC is being nasty to my camera. However, here's the post entitled "Re: PC 690 router base question".

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote: > I have been looking to get my first router. This is for occasional > hobby use. I am thinking of getting either 690LR, a fixed base router > ( $84) or 693LRPK, a kit with fix and plunge base($184). I have a > question about the base. If I buy the

690LR fixed base router now ( to > keep the cost down), can I buy only a plunge base later and mount the > motor into that? >

I have a table. It's not a great table, but it works. You can make an approximation of a table with a straight piece of wood and two clamps. That will certainly be enough to cut dadoes and rabbets, at least for a few cuts.

I also have a jig that I use to cut dadoes with that's simple to build and cheap. It's two pieces of wood, longer than the width of board that you're dadoing. The first piece (A) is a 1x2. The second piece of wood (B) is wider than the distance from the edge of your router base to the inside edge of the bit you're using.

Screw piece A to piece B flush on one side. Measure from the INSIDE of piece A across piece B til it's about 1/4" wider than the distance from the outside of your router base to the edge of the router bit (mounted in the collet). Rip along that measured line.

Then butt the router base against the

1x2 and rout the edge you've just sawed. You now have a custom made dado jig for that size of bit. The (routed) edge of piece B will line up along the edge of your marked dado.

This takes almost longer to describe than it does to build. It's also easier to build than describe.

When you've finished, paint it bright yellow so you don't lose it.

Reply to
Tanus

All MY routers have square bases. Some have deliberately 'off-centre' bases.

Reply to
Robatoy