Router cutter scorching wood

Hello Why is the wood scorching when I attempt to cut across the grain and I'm doing fine going with the grain?
Wood is pine.
Thank you.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in

Take more passes with lighter cuts, and try moving the router faster.
Router burn can be difficult to remove on some woods. The easiest way is to take a light cut for the last pass, removing any previous burn marks.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/30/06

RonB wrote:

And if you still get scorching, use the router bit as a scraper (manually)

dadiOH _______________
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Thanks all for replies.
I got a piece of advice,but havn't tried it yet but it sounds feasible? the advice was to wet the the wood a bit(damp) and then route across the grain and a light sanding when dry.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

You really shouldn't be scorching with pine. You should make sure (as already mentioned) that your bit is sharp, that you're not cutting off too much at once (1/16" at a time?), and that you're not moving too slowly.
--
Michael White "To protect people from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools." -Herbert Spencer
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com
Might try taking lighter cuts and, if possible, move the router through the cut a little faster.

The3rd Earl Of Derby (in 3Bvzg.109996$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk) said:
| Why is the wood scorching when I attempt to cut across the grain | and I'm doing fine going with the grain?
Scorching is caused by an overheated bit. Bits overheat when they're dull and when they're fed at a speed that doesn't remove enough chips fast enough to carry the heat away.
Make sure your bits are sharp and that your feed speed is adequate.