Router collet size

If I buy a router with a 1/2 collet, will it still work with 1/4 inch shanked bits?

W/ a bushing, yes. Most come w/ bushing I think; at least the Makita I last bought came w/ both 1/4" and 8 mm bushings.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in

The router will probably work with a 1/4" bit, but you'll need the 1/4" collet to do so. Many come with both.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Most come with a 1/4" collet, or one can be special ordered.
--

-MIKE-

The Porter Cable routers all have 1/2" and 1/4" collets and a 3/8" was also available.
In the old days of the 690 family, they would ship both in the box.
I don't know if that's still true, but you can certainly order either one for almost all of their routers.
I think most of the major routers are that way.
On Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:29:29 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I was looking at them on lowes online the bosch router only comes with 1/2 it says.
Are the thread sizes universal? I mean, can I take the 1/4 collet off my bad ryobi and use the collet on the bosch if I were to buy it?
On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 14:17:09 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

A 1/4" size collet "should" fit in a 3/8" chuck, but I wouldn't take the chance of it not being a proper fit. With the speed those bits are spinning, you're taking a big chance in my opinion.
If it were me, I'd only buy a router that came with a 1/4" collet or at the very least, had the option to buy one specially manufactured for your rouiter.
On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 17:24:51 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

Mistke there, should have been "fit in 1/2" chuck".

Probably not and you don't want to try it unless you know for sure, ie: manufacturer oks it. You could chuck up a bit and it may feel tight, but turn the machine on and it could come flying off at very high speed.
--

-MIKE-

On Thursday, April 25, 2013 2:17:09 PM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Just get a bushing. They are very cheap. They slip inside any 1/2" collet and let you use any 1/4" bit. The ones I have used look like they are made from a fiberglass tube. They have slots cut on 4 side so they compress when tightened.
On Thursday, April 25, 2013 3:58:53 PM UTC-7, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

let you use any 1/4" bit. The ones I have used look like they are made from a fiberglass tube. They have slots cut on 4 side so they compress when tightened.
Here is a metal one (Amazon.com product link shortened)

I would think the new version does... Boy is that thing heavy.
--
Jeff

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

No.
Collets fit *into* a chuck and are held in place and tightened with a nut on the outside of the chuck. None of those parts are interchangeable manufacturer to manufacturer because the taper and depth of the chucks are not standardized AFAIK.
I am reasonably certain that Bosch has collets for any standard size bit shank available for any of there routers. Buying one would be the best solution. A less good solution is buying a 1/4>1/2 adapter for the bit shank. They look like this... http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2008167/3158/whiteside-6400-router-bit-shank-reducer-12-to-14.aspx
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:
Stryped, here is an illustrated manual for your type of router. It's for a Dewalt but the mecahism for raising/lowering the bit and removing the motor units would be very similar to your router. Pay particular attention to the sections on depth adjustment and removing the motor unit and to the illustrations which are about 1/3 of the way down.
http://pdf.lowes.com/installationguides/028877357461_install.pdf
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I have two Bosch routers, IIRC you replace the collet and nut to go to a smaller size. Many of the Bosch routers have self extracting collets which are sold as a collet/nut unit. It does not easily come apart. so you buy another unit for the size you use.
I prefer an insert as I go between 1/4" and 1/2" pretty often and screwing the collet/nut off, and a different one on, for the change and back again becomes tedious.

May I be so bold to suggest that you go to Amazon.com and, under books, search for "using routers". You seem a bit :-) naive on the subject. There is a lot to know about using routers and there are certain safety aspects that you will find valuable.
Max

Yes, most decent brands will come with a reducer insert or you can buy one
On Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:29:29 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

This is the router I was talking about: http://www.lowes.com/pd_136633-353-1617EVSPK_0__

I have one of those routers.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
It came with both collets, 1/2" and 1/4" (from Amazon) I don't know why one from Lowes wouldn't have both collets.
Max
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

tag that it comes with 1/2 and 1/4" collets.
--
 GW Ross

 In nature, there are no rewards or