Router collet size

If I buy a router with a 1/2 collet, will it still work with 1/4 inch shanked bits?

Reply to
stryped1

W/ a bushing, yes. Most come w/ bushing I think; at least the Makita I last bought came w/ both 1/4" and 8 mm bushings.

Reply to
dpb

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

The router will probably work with a 1/4" bit, but you'll need the 1/4" collet to do so. Many come with both.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Most come with a 1/4" collet, or one can be special ordered.

Reply to
-MIKE-

The Porter Cable routers all have 1/2" and 1/4" collets and a 3/8" was also available.

In the old days of the 690 family, they would ship both in the box.

I don't know if that's still true, but you can certainly order either one for almost all of their routers.

I think most of the major routers are that way.

Reply to
Pat Barber

I was looking at them on lowes online the bosch router only comes with 1/2 it says.

Are the thread sizes universal? I mean, can I take the 1/4 collet off my bad ryobi and use the collet on the bosch if I were to buy it?

Reply to
stryped1

ryobi and use the collet on the bosch if I were to buy it?

A 1/4" size collet "should" fit in a 3/8" chuck, but I wouldn't take the chance of it not being a proper fit. With the speed those bits are spinning, you're taking a big chance in my opinion.

If it were me, I'd only buy a router that came with a 1/4" collet or at the very least, had the option to buy one specially manufactured for your rouiter.

Reply to
none

Mistke there, should have been "fit in 1/2" chuck".

Reply to
none

ryobi and use the collet on the bosch if I were to buy it?

Probably not and you don't want to try it unless you know for sure, ie: manufacturer oks it. You could chuck up a bit and it may feel tight, but turn the machine on and it could come flying off at very high speed.

Reply to
-MIKE-

ryobi and use the collet on the bosch if I were to buy it?

Just get a bushing. They are very cheap. They slip inside any 1/2" collet and let you use any 1/4" bit. The ones I have used look like they are made from a fiberglass tube. They have slots cut on 4 side so they compress when tightened.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

ryobi and use the collet on the bosch if I were to buy it?

let you use any 1/4" bit. The ones I have used look like they are made from a fiberglass tube. They have slots cut on 4 side so they compress when tightened.

Here is a metal one

SonomaProducts.com

May I be so bold to suggest that you go to Amazon.com and, under books, search for "using routers". You seem a bit :-) naive on the subject. There is a lot to know about using routers and there are certain safety aspects that you will find valuable.

Max

Reply to
MaxD

ryobi and use the collet on the bosch if I were to buy it?

I have a couple of bosch 1617 evs and they came with both 1/4 and 1/2.

I would think the new version does... Boy is that thing heavy.

Reply to
woodchucker

Collets fit *into* a chuck and are held in place and tightened with a nut on the outside of the chuck. None of those parts are interchangeable manufacturer to manufacturer because the taper and depth of the chucks are not standardized AFAIK.

I am reasonably certain that Bosch has collets for any standard size bit shank available for any of there routers. Buying one would be the best solution. A less good solution is buying a 1/4>1/2 adapter for the bit shank. They look like this...

dadiOH

Stryped, here is an illustrated manual for your type of router. It's for a Dewalt but the mecahism for raising/lowering the bit and removing the motor units would be very similar to your router. Pay particular attention to the sections on depth adjustment and removing the motor unit and to the illustrations which are about 1/3 of the way down.

dadiOH

Yes, most decent brands will come with a reducer insert or you can buy one

Reply to
Leon

This is the router I was talking about:

stryped1

ryobi and use the collet on the bosch if I were to buy it?

I have two Bosch routers, IIRC you replace the collet and nut to go to a smaller size. Many of the Bosch routers have self extracting collets which are sold as a collet/nut unit. It does not easily come apart. so you buy another unit for the size you use.

I prefer an insert as I go between 1/4" and 1/2" pretty often and screwing the collet/nut off, and a different one on, for the change and back again becomes tedious.

Reply to
Leon

I have one of those routers.

It came with both collets, 1/2" and 1/4" (from Amazon) I don't know why one from Lowes wouldn't have both collets.

Max

Reply to
MaxD

Looked at this router at Lowes this morning. It states on the shelf tag that it comes with 1/2 and 1/4" collets.

Reply to
G. Ross