Router Brushes Question

I was using the router the other day and it totally quit..... I put in new spare "carbon brushes" and everything was fine so I thought I needed new brushes. Today I put the old brushes back in and everything is fine. Do brushes get so hot that they shut down or something like that?? Can you file them flat on the ends to work? Was going to order some more but thinking I would ask here first. Probably should know this- But Don't!
-TIA
The brushes release lots of dust. The copper tarnishes. Get some contact cleaner or electric motor cleaner and spray it in the brush holes towards the armature. Hold the router up side down so the dust and liquid go out the top. This should do it.

Sometimes the springs do not push hard enough as the brushes wear. Removing and replacing can provide a temporary fix. This "could" be the case.

<< I was using the router the other day and it totally quit.... >>
Your brushes likely were sticking in the brush holder. Pulling out the brushes could dislodge the grunge and everything would work OK for a while. Best do some careful cleanup on the brush holders and pay attention to how you reinsert the brushes. They should be contoured for the commutator to avoid overheating and possible damage. HTH
Joe