Router bits (yes .. again!) ... Looking for advice on brands

I take a rather different approach, I will spend the money on bit's I know I'll continue to use. But since there are so many variations out there I buy the cheapest I can find just to play with if I like it, I buy a better brand and put it in my collection. I couldn't give you an accurate ratings on brands, just haven't been using them that long.

Don't look at price it isn't a good barometer.

Reply to
HMFIC-1369

Get a $15 set from Ebay/Harbor Fright/Big Lots and figure out which profiles you use the most. Replace those few with name-brand bits (the cheapies actually aren't bad bits) like Whiteside and keep the rest for play.

---=====--- After all else fails, read the instructions. ---=====--- Website Design and Update

Larry Jaques

Hi Jack,

I was talking about this set:

the wrap)

It is $190, not $160 like I thought it was.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"

Reply to
dadiOH

Reply to
nospambob

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" () wrote on Monday 15 August 2005 04:43 pm:

Don't buy a set.

I looked at several sets and saw the common ground, then bought individual pieces from the ones I figured I'd use, one each from several manufacturers.

My impressions:

  1. I've no preference among the quality manufacturers. If I need X, I'll choose whoever has the best special this month from the several brands I have. Woodcraft's "Router Bit of the Month" has gotten my business several times.

  1. If I need a straight bit for an abrasive task, buy whatever the Borg is selling this week and consider it disposable.

Reply to
Charles Krug
    • C
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Hello,

My advise is the oposit!

By a set (preferably a cheap 50 peices 1/2 shank on ebay for $25 or $30) start using it, you will see which bits you use all the time (1/4 straight flute, trim bit for example) and buy a good one of these ($5 special at woodcraft) and you are in business...

cheap OK bits for your once is a while jobs, good bits for your everyday use.

cyrille

Reply to
Cyrille de Brébisson

I bet you've never encountered a severely out of balance Viper bit, huh? I've gotten bits so bad I've had to shut the router off immediately and return the offending bit to the store for refund. Also, I've got a set of Woodline bits that don't cut for crap, brand new. Hard to push through the wood and they leave jagged edges. Inferior tools can be a hazard as well as a nuisance.

Dave

Reply to
David