Router Bits: Single Flute vs Double Flute

What is the performance and or application difference between router straight bits with a single flute and a double flute? Why two diff bits that do the same thing?
--
joe2

joe2 wrote:

1. single flute cuts rougher but heat up less.
2. single flute bits are usually plunge bits
--
dadiOH
____________________________

was told they were for corian, which makes sense since I bought some corian at the same auction.

Oddly the single flute bit offers better performance than the 2 flute bit.
Per the Amana tool site, Single flute allows for faster feed rates, greater chip clearance and maximum stock removal.
http://www.amanatool.com/bits-fv/45100.html
A single flute cutter can be stiffer if the grinding design permits. Resistance to deflection is a good property. Most 2 flute cutters exist because of dynamics. A single flute OGee, e.g. will blow itself up at 25,000RPM. Single flute bits have balance problems and are rarely found on cutters with diameters much > than the shank. http://www.patwarner.com (Routers)

LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico <<
Hey dadiOH, your site is down.
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Nope.
--
dadiOH

joe2 (in snipped-for-privacy@diybanter.com) said:
| What is the performance and or application difference between router | straight bits with a single flute and a double flute? Why two diff | bits that do the same thing?
A single flute on a straight bit allows retention of more "meat" on the shank - resulting in a stronger bit with less deflection.
A single-flute bit requires a slower feed and/or higher spindle speed.
More flutes permit higher feed rates and/or lower spindle speed. When I have a choice I opt for three flutes, with two flutes as my second choice. I've found that more flutes produces a smoother cut, perhaps because with the spiral cutters I use, one of the flutes is always bearing against the side of the cut.
When cutting with a V-bit, three flutes allows "parking" the bit briefly without enlarging the cut at the parking spot.
The bits may be intended to produce the same-shaped cut but their behavior is different. Choose the bit that provides the behavior characteristic(s) you deem most important for the job you're doing.