Router bits on ebay

Has anyone had any experience buying router bits on ebay? Is the quality any good? Can anyone recommend a seller or tell me whom to stay away from?

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
SteveH

In terms of genuine seller this bloke is a very nice person.

router bits are of decent quality too.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Hmmm... Well, that depends on the quality of bits you buy. If you get good ones (Amana, Whiteside, CMT, Freud etc.) the quality is pretty good. If you get cheap ones (i.e. $10 for a 35-piece set of low-end chinese bits), the quality is pretty poor. I've watched a few auctions of the better bits, and haven't seen any amazing deals, but I haven't looked recently. I like MLCSwoodworking.com for bits I won't use very much to save $; and Infinitytools.com for bits I will probably use more often, or that I want to last longer. You might have more luck with advice if you ask more specifically about a certain brand, etc. Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

Thanks for your feedback. If I were looking for a router bit that I knew I was going to use regularly, I would definitely go with quality brand. I have one-time need for a small project and I hate spending more for the tools than the materials. I'm just looking for something that will make a clean cut even if I have to make a couple extra passes. The picture on ebay (of the one bit I'm considering) shows the words "Artisan Precision" on the shaft. Anyone have any experience with this brand?

thanks,

Steve

Reply to
SteveH

Stick with name brands. You get what you pay for.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I recently purchased some MLCS bit on the advice of other here, they work great. You might want to check them out.

Reply to
Locutus

If you really want eBay quality bits, I have seen them at Big Lots if you have one of those near you.

Reply to
Locutus

When you say "router bits," my immediate impulse is to take the crowbar to my wallet and get spendy. I'm usually very skeptical of "you get what you pay for," but with router bits, it's probably true. And why not go for it, when an extra $25 can make a whole world of difference?

And with router bits in particular, I feel a need to inspect them before buying.

So I guess I didn't really answer your question. Sorry about that.

Reply to
boorite

Guys,

I'm going ahead with a bid on this bit and when I get it, I'll post my results back to this thread.

Thanks for your advice.

Steve

Reply to
SteveH

"SteveH" wrote in news:-sqdnVD6hvwojYnYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

For modest scale, don't want to over pay, get me a bit this afternoon work, I;ve had pretty good success with the blue bits from Rockler Woodworking, and the green ones from the local Woodcraft. I've been less impressed with the yellow ones from the Orange Borg.

For basic, use for years, resharpen when needed, investment bits, I buy either Whiteside or Amana router bits, and have been very satisfied with their durability and accuracy.

There's a Freud rabbeting bit kit in the box, too, that I got from Amazon. I probably won't do that again, though. Too much trouble, for me at least, to order on line and wait...

Have fun with your project!

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Fri, Sep 22, 2006, 11:12am snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (SteveH) doth queryth: Has anyone had any experience buying router bits on ebay? Is the quality any good? Can anyone recommend a seller or tell me whom to stay away from?

I did. Once. I won't again.

Router bits are now one of many things I prefer not to purchase by mail. Exceptions exist, such as Lee Valley, but no more eBay sellers.

JOAT I am not paranoid. I do not "think" people are after me. I "know" damn well they're after me.

Reply to
J T

For those who are interested. I got my ebay router bit and did my project today. The bit performed OK in soft wood but when I tried it with red oak it was terrible. I think I'll send it out for sharpening and see it does any better. This was a one-off project and I got the results I needed at about half the price so I'm happy with my decision, but in the end conventional wisdom prevails: If you want quality and dependability - go with the quality brands.

Steve

Reply to
SteveH