Router Bits

I just got a router but have no bits yet. What is the best way to get router bits? Just buy the ones you need as you come to them in a project? Or buy a set? Are there different qualities (I'm sure there are) - what are the different options/prices?

Reply to
bthiede

When I first bought a router I purchased a cheap boxed set for experimental purposes just to get used to the router in general.

As the bits in the US are much cheaper than the UK i'd suggest you buy better quality bits seperate when you're confident of routing.

In the words of me... the router is the ultimate woodworkers tool since slide bread... ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

This should help....

Good reading....

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

You get what you pay for.

For starters if you do not need or know exactly what you need a cheap set that you can easily afford would be a good choice. As you experiment with the different bits and learn to use particular ones more frequently, replace the cheap bits with a better brand bit that will last longer. If you do not have an assortment to begin with you may never know what the variety of bits will do for you. Buying an expensive set to start with would most likely leave you with several expensive bits that you will seldom use.

Reply to
Leon

Router bits are very much application specific.

Buy as many 1/2" shank as possible.

Buy them when you need them with the following possible exceptions:

Buy a good quality rounding over set (1/8", 1/4", 3/8", 1/2") (My cove bit set is an el-cheapo YMMV)

Buy a good quality straight bit set (1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4")

Buy a good 1/4" up spiral bit

Buy at least one good pattern bit (I like 3/4")

Buy at least one good flush trim bit (I like 3/4")

The above are my general purpose "work horse" bits I use over & over.

They are of good quality.

Anything else has to make me think I will use it more than once to buy "good", otherwise it is an el-cheapo.

HTH

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Try these guys:

I'm a hobbyist and I've been buying from them for years. Good service, good prices. I have a few of their premium "Katana" bits too. For occasional use, the basic types are just as good.

Reply to
MB

If you buy a set of assorted bits you will end up paying less per bit (quite a bit less actually). Then as you start to settle in on projects you can move up in quality and buy the specialized bits you need.

Woodcraft sells halfway decent bits in sets of 10 and 20. I bought one of the 20 bit sets a couple of years ago and it provides good variety for general purpose routing and learning. BTW, you can buy these at about $30 - $40 less during a good part of the year when they have sales.

There are other sets from other suppliers that are probably just as good. This is just an example. Also, if your router accepts both 1/4" and 1/2" bits I recommend you go with the 1/2".

RonB

Reply to
RonB

...Or checkout ebay for the realy cheapo starting out bits.

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Also check these guys out:

bought a raised panel set from them. Wasn't the greatest quality but $40 bucks for all three bits was a lot better than buying 'real' bits for $200. Doors came out fine.

I agree with those that suggest buying a cheap set so you can get used to the tool and figure out how you are going to use it. I would just stay away from HSS bits, they burn up way too quickly.

Reply to
RayV

Ya should have looked on ebay first. ;-)

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Buy as you need. I do have a set of round-over bits that I've found useful. There is a wide range of price and quality, basically you get what you pay for. I usually pay $8 to $25 each, Whiteside.

Reply to
Phisherman

Reply to
Monroe

I'd suggest tryiing to identify a core set of bits that you'll use most frequently and buying the best quality you can afford (my personal preference is Whiteside). If you can find them in a set, or at least some of them in a set, I'd buy them that way - you'll save money. For less frequently used bits I think the quality of the bit is less important and I buy mine as I need them.

Identifying a core set of bits will depend on how you'll use your router. There's an article in the current issue of Fine Woodworking (Oct 2006) entilted '10 essential router bits' that you might find informative.

I've also had good luck with bits from Lee Valley. When I got my first router a bought a 12 piece set from them; I've used every bit in the set and they've held up well.

Whatever you buy, buy carbide and try to get 1/2" shank.

Reply to
fmo

You don't mention what shank size your router will handle. So make a trip to CSTCO and buy their set. At the COSTCO near me the set of 24 is $37.00 or something like tha. As others have mentioned be sure and only buy carbide teeth router bits. And watch Ebay for bits. They are frequent good buys.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Checkout these and the sellers 1/2" bits

they look decent quality bits?

I got outbid by $2 on the last set.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Reply to
nospambob

I would suggest buying a not too expensive set (Not HF) and you will find out which ones you will use often. As these need replacement replace them with good bits.

Glen

Reply to
Glen

Lee Valley sells a 12 bit boxed set that contains pretty much all the bits you'd probably need to get started. It's a good deal on high quality bits, and will most likely keep you going for a while, at least until you need some specialized ones.

Reply to
bob

FWW did a test with router bits and basically how many feet before they started having chipping problems or total failure.Whitside was the best.Maybe someone can come up with what issue #. I buy whiteside unless I think I wont use a particlar bit often.Allways 1/2" shank.

Reply to
henry

Because "henry" could, he/she/it opin'd:

Fine Woodworking - July/August 1999 - #137

ROUTER-BIT MATCHUP

by Anatole Burkin

We put 17 brands of straight bits to the test

- The right carbide affects a bit's quality of life

(Found with

)

-Don

Reply to