Router bit temperature

Page 1 of 2
I finally gave in and bought one of those laser-guided infra-red thermometers for the shop. I've needed one of 'em for a long time (for solar panel testing) and Hammacher-Schlemmer had one on sale that covered the range I needed for a price I could almost afford.
Yesterday I was routing MDO and pretty much watching a nice 1/4" solid carbide 3-flute end mill getting dull. I could see the edges of the dado getting fuzzier and fuzzier as the bit traveled - and by the end of the second sheet, they were beginning to look more like "splintery".
Just for grins, I grabbed the new toy and took a temperature reading on the bit as it was finishing that second sheet (after probably a little more than 150' of routing)...
I probably should mention that the shop temperature was about 80F and that the bit was turning at 14,000 rpm and was being fed at a nice even 1.5"/sec (90"/min) with a 1/4" depth of cut - and that, although the bit was clearly close to the point of being unusable without resharpening, I couldn't see any burning.
...the bit temperature was a nice cool 93.1F - nowhere near hot enough for burning to take place, and very much cooler than I'd expected.
It confirmed for me that feed speed has a lot to do with preventing (or causing) burning during cutting operations.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Admit it. You walked around all day testing the heat of anything and everything you could see didn't you?
There's few things more engrossing than a new toy.

Especially with a laser light on it. I've used mine about a dozen times for actual temperature measurement, and a dozen times a dozen times as a cat toy!
Puckdropper

Puckdropper wrote:

I bought a laser pointer (still in my briefcase) back about '84 - and have to admit that it's logged a lot more hours in "cat mode" that in "presentation mode". BTW, a drifting red spot on a wall/ceiling works fairly well for settling down sleepy tots. :-)
I did spend a good part of the evening of this gizmo's arrival taking the temperature of (almost) everything at home. ;-)
All of the end mills/router bits I've managed to break were destroyed by overheating, and I was expecting this one to be near/at the breaking point - and was surprised (a) that it /didn't/ break and (b) that it had stayed that cool.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Are you sure you had it properly centred on the cutting edge? Even with small short easy cuts, the few times I've touched the carbide after the bit spun down, it always seemed a lot hotter than 100 F.
Upscale wrote:

Well, the red dot was dead on - but the bit was turning (cutting edges going past at the rate of 42,000/sec). I would guess that when a bit overheats, the entire thing gets hot.
By the time I pulled the bit two or three minutes afterward (after unclamping the parts and cleaning up some of the mess) I don't recall that it felt particularly warm.
More "play" is definitely called for. :-)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

Certainly...but while running it's only the bulk temperature that's going to get sensed for sure.
It's not likely there's sufficient focus in the sensor to precisely measure the tip temperature, anyway, even if "spot on" w/ the guiding laser.

dpb wrote:

Now you've done it...now Morris will have to buy a thermal imaging camera.
Chris
Chris Friesen wrote:

Ooooooh... I hadn't even thought of that - and it's deductable! :-D
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

An ultra, high speed, thermal imaging camera. Entirely necessary to catch those spinning router bits right at the proper moment.
Upscale wrote:

Absolutely. And better still - if I get a DoE grant I can buy it with Tim's taxes! <eg>
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Damn you Morris. Now I've got Pepsi all over my monitor, keyboard and half my desk. :)

It's nice to know you appreciate a really fine libation. <G>
P D Q
PDQ wrote:

It's also a good way to economize on Post-It pads. [DAMHIKT]
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Pepsi?? I din not know you vere Vrench?
Robatoy wrote:

Eh? I don't understand (and my Larousse is not helpful). What am I missing?
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

I suppose it wasn't fair to assume that my American friends would get that reference.
Check item 3, 5 and 6 here:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pepsi
Robatoy wrote:

Ah ha - thank you.
And my thanks to *all* our Canadian neighbors to buy US products of *any* flavor! We need the business. :-|
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

I suppose it wasn't fair to assume that my American friends would get that reference.
Check item 3, 5 and 6 here:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pepsi

The term Pepsi is more a local Quebec phenomena. It is not as widespread as 'frog'.