Router bit question

I'm new to routing and am looking to buy some straight bits. I have noticed some router bits are called plunge bits and they seem to have a carbide edge on the bottom of the bit. Does this mean that regular straight bits cannot be plunged into the wood?
I also want to purchase a top-bearing guided straight bit to do some template cuts in 1/2 to 3/4 plywood, mdf and 5/4 or thinner boards. The cut length required I can figure out, the 1/2" shank seems to be recommended by all.
So given a 1/2" shank, 1" cut length, top-mounted bearing straight bit.....what diameter should i pick and why does it make a difference...i have seen them from 3/4" to 1 1/4". I am not cutting dados or grooves, but flush trimming guided by a template.
All feedback is appreciated.
-- Regards, - Al Fort Lauderdale, Florida email: snipped-for-privacy@nospam.hotmail.com To send email remove dashes in username and nospam from the server name.
Buy 'em all. Or as needed. Tom >Subject: Router bit question

Someday, it'll all be over....
Or one just over half the width of the template you're using. Sorry. Tom >Subject: Router bit question

Someday, it'll all be over....
I would use the smallest diameter you can get away with. That means less wood is made into chips so less work is done. Easier in the router, easier on you and less cleaning up to do.
John

I'm not sure I understand this. If i trim along a template for distance of 12" for example, isn't the same amount of wood taken off by the router bit...regardless of the bits diameter?
- Al