router bit grit carbide

Page 1 of 2

Only Rockler router bits tell they have 800 grit carbide. I can not find what Freud or CMT has? Could you tell me?
Chuck

As good as or better than the Rockler bits. <G>
For a really kick ass bit, try Whiteside.
Barry
Go with whiteside. From woodcraft if they are on sale (they put a different whiteside bit on sale each month)
You'll be very happy with CMT and Freud bits. Or Amana. Or Bosch. don't know about Rockler bits... :)
Dave
CNT wrote:

David wrote:

Buy Whiteside....Made in America by Americans....we need the jobs....I have been to the Whiteside factory a number of times....first class operation and wonderful people....let's keep the jobs here in America...the best product made by the best people from the best country...we all win!! Mike
snipped-for-privacy@ccrtc.com wrote in

The most valid economic argument that one needs to make for Whiteside is that their product is excellent, gives good, repeatable service, and is priced fairly.
If you're going to do a job more than once, a tool that lasts is a better buy.
Patriarch, who thinks that good jobs for his neighbors is a good thing, too.
Correct me, does the Whiteside have the hardest carbide of all?
Chuck

There are materials scientists around who understand this better than I, who was schooled as an economist. There is a trade off between hardness and brittleness. Brittle means chipping, poor edge retention, and poorer cut, poorer value.
Like most things in life, you have to look at maximizing more than one variable, and there are trade offs.

Well said, just like the touted Jap chisels a chip in one of those will probably take a day of grinding to repair....mjh

Who cares?
In my actual usage, on wood and composites, Whiteside bits make me smile the most. <G>
CMT, Amana, and Freud are good, but a small notch down. Asian bits, like Carb-Tech, Woodcraft's house brand, Rockler, etc... are down from that. I base this opinion of actual usage, and the results on cut quality and how long the quality stays.
Aside from carbide, the runout and quality of the shaft of the bit is very important. I have some bits that leave a scary smooth profile, others that leave chatter marks of different degrees.
Barry
On run-out: The only bits I've used that had run-out were Vipers. Two out of three bits purchased more than a year apart. I stay away from Vipers just like Woodline.
Dave
Ba r r y wrote:

edges .Are we also talking "runout" with a single assymetric cutting edge bits ...mjh
Symetrical. The problem was that the shanks were bent. Strange but true--on two different types of Viper bits. I managed to get a core box bit from them that runs true. It will be the only Viper in my collection.
Dave
mike hide wrote:

Same problem with the Menard's "Tool Shop" line. The carbide is fine, as far as I could tell, but the shanks will bend if you take too big a bite with them.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

I have never come to grips totally with runout, the definition that is . Seems to me we should be talking about eccentricity here not runout....mjh
snipped-for-privacy@ccrtc.com says...

Unfortunately, they aren't easy to find. A local hardware/lumber shop has a good selection of Freud bits, and I can get Freud table saw blades and Forstner bits at HD, but I've never seen Whiteside anywhere but Woodcraft.

We don't need the jobs, 10,000,000 ilegal's from Mexico prove that. We simply need to realize that what we want to be paid is more than the job is worth.

That is certainly debatable.
from the best

Pnly if in a particular case the US built item is better.
Leon says...

Please, spare us the right wing condescension. Jobs pay according to labor supply and demand, just like anything else. If the owner of a chicken slaughterhouse can get illegals to do the job for $6/hr, then he isn't going to pay an American $12/hr for the same job. If there weren't illegals, the jobs would pay more. It isn't rocket science. I have watched entire industries where wages are lower now than they were 20 years ago, and now it is all Mexicans doing the jobs. If we need them so much, then why do we still have unemployment? If you look at the border counties of Texas and Arizona, unemployment rates are sky high and I've looked at unemployment rates for the counties in my own state and see the same thing. Wherever there is a rising tide of immigrants, unemployment rates are much higher.

Only if you were willing to pay double for you groceries. Probably not.
It isn't rocket science. I

And now those industries are better off paying a fair wage.
If we need

I suspect because many people do not want to work for less than they "think" that htey should be paid.
If you look at

Well duh!. Border states have the most border patrol officers. If illegals stayed in those states or along the border they would be deported. Hense there are not enough people to fill lower paying jobs.
and I've looked at unemployment rates for the counties in my own

Illegals don't file for unemployment. Typically those that think that they are better than the average worker file for unemployment.
Leon says...

But labor is only a fraction of the cost. The increase would be much less than double, and I don't think the universe would implode if we had to pay 75 instead of 50 per pound for chicken.

How so? It hasn't done jack to stop the move of manufacturing to China.

And I'll bet that number includes you. People who work for the wages you think they deserve can't afford woodworking tools.

That's just wrong on so many levels, I don't have the time to go into them all. But the short version is that many illegals do stay in the border counties at least for a while as can be seen by the huge Hispanic majorities in those counties.

Wrong again. It is citizens and legal residents who recently lost their jobs. Nobody can get unemployment on a whim.