Router bit for cutting Deep mortise

Page 3 of 3
dadiOH wrote:

Thank you very much.

There's always Craigslist.
said:

I read today that there was an ad in Popular Woodworking that says Grizzly is going to have a sale between 5/17 and 9/23 (or so), which would knock $100 off of the G0690, G0691. I assume shipping is still $144. The thread is at Saw Mill Creek forum (under Deals & Discounts).
Bill
You could start with a drill and drill bits to remove most of the wood. It 'wood' save a lot of work. Go all the way through with the drill, then even up the edges with the router.
Doug

I think it's a good idea too. It might even save a router bit or two.
Thanks, Bill

You're likely going to end up using a chisel to square the corners, so just drill and buy a good mortice chisel. Forget the router.

Read DougVL's approach above. Seems to be lots of ways to get the job done, some ways definitely seem to be a lot better than others and some seem to be matters of style. I think once you "hog off" the wood, both approaches wood work. Thank you for your suggestions.
Bill

Are you going to round the tenons? If not, you are still going to end up with a chisel in your hand. Unless, of course, you spring for the drill press and mortice chisel for it.

I've not read anything about this, so this is merely anecdotal, but I've used square tenons in rounded mortises before and not had any problems. Just make your tenons a bit shorter on each end. I'm sure the joint is weaker than a perfectly fit and glued M & T, but how much? And is it significant?
JP ***************************** Blaspheming, as usual.

I've not read anything about this, so this is merely anecdotal, but I've used square tenons in rounded mortises before and not had any problems. Just make your tenons a bit shorter on each end. I'm sure the joint is weaker than a perfectly fit and glued M & T, but how much? And is it significant?
JP ***************************** Blaspheming, as usual.
Well, you'll Know it's not perfect and it will gnaw on you forever ... ;-0
Rumple Stiltskin wrote:

And is it significant?

You will be the best judge of that if it fails. Think about a bolt in a nut that isn't exactly the right size.

A bad analogy. It really depends on the width of the tenon. For a two-inch wide tenon, there will be plenty of glue surface.
scott

Reminds me of some of the contractors who have shown up at my door-- anything to save a little time. My dad was a PE and after reviewing documents he would put his seal on them (no, not a zoo animal). Would you put your seal on a square tenon in a round mortise?
"Bill" wrote:

----------------------------------------- Yes. after taking the time to knock off the corners off the tenon to fit the mortise.
Lew
(Who also still has his seal)

And for a through tenon?
" Rumple Stiltskin" wrote:

I don't do through tenons, but for those that do, the dedicated mortiser is one solution.
Lew

Never used one, but did read some reviews. Unless one has a Lot of spare change they did not come off well in review.