Router bit for cutting Deep mortise

Page 2 of 3

Urban Dictionary: a phrase used to diffuse any ill feelings caused by a preceded remark.

I'll probably end up just trying to join two pieces of wood together, and then try again and again until I make at least one joint good enough to leave out for show. I still have a BS in the box. Have to figure out how to put that (heavy) thing together. Then I can rip some SYP so I can practice making table tops. Need to fettle my new antique planes first, of course, and my new chisels. So I will be doing some glueing and planing excercises (too). At the same time, I'll be tearing all of the drywall off of a wall so I can install some new wiring. I figure 3 duplex 110V outlets and 3 240v outlets, at least, along with the new subpanel I need to install. Looks like I'll need to pry up some attic flooring to get to my ceiling joists to install new lighting fixtures. I thought four T-5s ought to be about right. It works in my favor that all of these projects will occur in the same vicinity! ; ) Somehow my "epoxying the concrete floor" project got bumped down the list...will have to look into that. I need a weekeater too! Maybe I can figure out a way to use the router for that? : )
Bill
Bill wrote:

Most all hobbies - including woodworking - eat weeks. Dollars too :(
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Duh...I FINALLY understand you comment. I meant to type Weedeater..but you probably realized that. I must have typed weekeater subliminally, cause I have plenty of 'em around! I'll admit I largely soured on golf on account of the cost--I could stand the frustration of golf, but it was too much for me to pay 25-30 bucks for it too, probaby more than that now...

RS, holla at me about this goden bench, ya gotta pic man?
Bill (just off the infamous "8 Mile")

For example:
http://www.shawcreekgeneralstore.com/plans_garden_bench.htm
Mayhap too many M&T joints, but would offer plenty of practice.

I wrote a cute reply but decided to get away from 8 Mile before I accidentally offend someone. That garden bench looks like a lot of work to someone who wants to look at a workbench! I ordered the special Amana 2" bit tonight (yep, the one with the compass in the stock...). I'm not saying I'll start building workbenches on day 1. Just sayin'...

Good. I previously went through a number of hobbies because I expected to become, for example, Van Gogh after a few month's work. Screwing up a large project right out of the chute is a sure fire way to dampen enthusiasm.
Rumple Stiltskin wrote:

Thank you for your "vote of confidence"! ; )
I haven't noticed your ID, Rumple Stiltskin, here until lately. At first I thought you were someone I might name, incognito. Besides spinning straw into gold, what is your background (that you would like to share, of course)?
Bill

Amateur. Strictly. But definitely not Olympic material.
Is it a plunge blind hole ? or is it a cut from side or end ? How will the wood escape ? Up spiral might be important if blind.
Martin
Bill wrote:

Plunge hole is blind. I'm hoping that if I don't cut too much at a time, that the wood "will find" a way to escape! :) Others suggested drilling a few holes..that would clearly be helpful in giving the wood a place to go as well. I'll be buying an extra 4by4 to practice on..
Bill

I would turn to my drill press and Mortising bit/chisel combination. Espeacially in light of others' comments suggestiong you drill a few through holes and clean up with a router bit. I mean, as long as you're headed for the drill press anyway . . .
news:77e2cb7b-e772-4ea5-9121- I would turn to my drill press and Mortising bit/chisel combination. Espeacially in light of others' comments suggestiong you drill a few through holes and clean up with a router bit. I mean, as long as you're headed for the drill press anyway . . .
--

Yes, I was leaning that way. Then I decided I was likely to get more mileage
out of a router (than a DP). A TS would be dern handy too! One step at a
Bill wrote:

Yes, everybody needs a table saw. Everybody! Also save your pennies for a drum sander (Performax,not Delta). I'd give up my cabinet saw and go back to the radial arm before I'd give up my Performax. No tool I have ever owned has done as much to make my woodworking life easier and better.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Should they have a cabinet saw like the Grizzly G0690, or should they be able to make excellent cuts with less than that? I'm sure I'm not likely to wear one out--not by a long shot. Just curious, : ) Bill

IMHO, one should be able to construct something one would not be ashamed to display in the parlour - using Hand Tools prior to going hell for leather. Here is an excellent resource which will show you both hand and power methods:
Woodworking Basics: Mastering the Essentials of Craftsmanship by Peter Korn - 12 bucks at Amazon - no relation, etc.
See the TOC for chap 8 & 9.

Bill -- you're in Indy, right? Half-Price Books is a good place to look for woodworking books... as is your public liberry (no matter where you are).

I looked at the TOC at Amazon.com. What is it you think I need to learn from that book? I've got "The Workbench Book" by Scott Landis, and I've read a word or two in other places. Where do you see as my weaknesses? Lew wrote last week that I read *too much*, though he might have been exaggerating. : )
Bill
Bill wrote:

Yeah, like that. HP is good, 220v is good, Grizzly is good. But my, heavens, they have sure gone up...my Grizzly is similar but sans riving knife and it was half that price a dozen years ago. Including shipping.
We are so lucky to have a government that gives us inflation.
--

dadiOH