Router bit for cutting Deep mortise

Have you considered building something more simple and less costly before building the work bench? I ask, as you state the 'router has not yet arrived'. A garden bench can use the same joints and would be a perfect practice piece. Just sayin' ...

Reply to
Rumple Stiltskin

Thank you for your concern. In answer to your question, I have not a decent place to sit in my shop, nor does my new grider/grinding wheel nor my bench planer. I've been saying for a few months I just want to get out there and cut some joints!

Motivated by J. Clarke's post yesterday, I've been envisioning my routing jig throughout the day--not too hard since the router just has to be able to slide back and forth--with no wobble! I'll block each end, and perhaps on top of adjacent fourbyfours and use lots of clamps. Too bad I don't have a DP or TS--I do have a circular saw I picked up at an auction a few months ago for $7. Hope the blade's sharp! : )

I've got a few projects going on at the same time--sometimes it's too much fun! I crawled around in the attic yesterday, installing my new lighting is going to be too much fun (NOT)! : )

Bill

BTW, where did this new expression "Just sayin'..." come from? I've been seeing it in a number of places lately.

Reply to
Bill

Urban Dictionary: a phrase used to diffuse any ill feelings caused by a preceded remark.

Reply to
Rumple Stiltskin

I'll probably end up just trying to join two pieces of wood together, and then try again and again until I make at least one joint good enough to leave out for show. I still have a BS in the box. Have to figure out how to put that (heavy) thing together. Then I can rip some SYP so I can practice making table tops. Need to fettle my new antique planes first, of course, and my new chisels. So I will be doing some glueing and planing excercises (too). At the same time, I'll be tearing all of the drywall off of a wall so I can install some new wiring. I figure 3 duplex 110V outlets and 3 240v outlets, at least, along with the new subpanel I need to install. Looks like I'll need to pry up some attic flooring to get to my ceiling joists to install new lighting fixtures. I thought four T-5s ought to be about right. It works in my favor that all of these projects will occur in the same vicinity! ; ) Somehow my "epoxying the concrete floor" project got bumped down the list...will have to look into that. I need a weekeater too! Maybe I can figure out a way to use the router for that? : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I would turn to my drill press and Mortising bit/chisel combination. Espeacially in light of others' comments suggestiong you drill a few through holes and clean up with a router bit. I mean, as long as you're headed for the drill press anyway . . .

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

"Hoosierpopi" wrote in message news:77e2cb7b-e772-4ea5-9121- I would turn to my drill press and Mortising bit/chisel combination. Espeacially in light of others' comments suggestiong you drill a few through holes and clean up with a router bit. I mean, as long as you're headed for the drill press anyway . . .

Reply to
Bill

You could start with a drill and drill bits to remove most of the wood. It 'wood' save a lot of work. Go all the way through with the drill, then even up the edges with the router.

Doug

Reply to
DougVL

I think it's a good idea too. It might even save a router bit or two.

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill

RS, holla at me about this goden bench, ya gotta pic man?

Bill (just off the infamous "8 Mile")

Reply to
Bill

For example:

too many M&T joints, but would offer plenty of practice.

Reply to
Rumple Stiltskin

You're likely going to end up using a chisel to square the corners, so just drill and buy a good mortice chisel. Forget the router.

Reply to
Rumple Stiltskin

I wrote a cute reply but decided to get away from 8 Mile before I accidentally offend someone. That garden bench looks like a lot of work to someone who wants to look at a workbench! I ordered the special Amana 2" bit tonight (yep, the one with the compass in the stock...). I'm not saying I'll start building workbenches on day 1. Just sayin'...

Reply to
Bill

Read DougVL's approach above. Seems to be lots of ways to get the job done, some ways definitely seem to be a lot better than others and some seem to be matters of style. I think once you "hog off" the wood, both approaches wood work. Thank you for your suggestions.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Most all hobbies - including woodworking - eat weeks. Dollars too :(

Reply to
dadiOH

Yes, everybody needs a table saw. Everybody! Also save your pennies for a drum sander (Performax,not Delta). I'd give up my cabinet saw and go back to the radial arm before I'd give up my Performax. No tool I have ever owned has done as much to make my woodworking life easier and better.

Reply to
dadiOH

Good. I previously went through a number of hobbies because I expected to become, for example, Van Gogh after a few month's work. Screwing up a large project right out of the chute is a sure fire way to dampen enthusiasm.

Reply to
Rumple Stiltskin

Are you going to round the tenons? If not, you are still going to end up with a chisel in your hand. Unless, of course, you spring for the drill press and mortice chisel for it.

Reply to
Rumple Stiltskin

Should they have a cabinet saw like the Grizzly G0690, or should they be able to make excellent cuts with less than that? I'm sure I'm not likely to wear one out--not by a long shot. Just curious, : ) Bill

Reply to
Bill

Duh...I FINALLY understand you comment. I meant to type Weedeater..but you probably realized that. I must have typed weekeater subliminally, cause I have plenty of 'em around! I'll admit I largely soured on golf on account of the cost--I could stand the frustration of golf, but it was too much for me to pay 25-30 bucks for it too, probaby more than that now...

Reply to
Bill

IMHO, one should be able to construct something one would not be ashamed to display in the parlour - using Hand Tools prior to going hell for leather. Here is an excellent resource which will show you both hand and power methods:

Woodworking Basics: Mastering the Essentials of Craftsmanship by Peter Korn - 12 bucks at Amazon - no relation, etc.

See the TOC for chap 8 & 9.

Reply to
Rumple Stiltskin