router bit extenders

I see someone is advertising a 2 1/2" bit exender for 1/2' shank router bits. Am I alone in thinking that this has to be quite dangerous, not to mention the inevitable whip that it would introduce? Anyone tried of of these things? It is tempting because we all know the problem of not being able to get the elevation in a table-mounted router.
Joe
Joe, I have a couple of different ones and haven't had any problem with them. I don't think they're dangerous but there are couple of things to consider.
They will amplify any problems your router might have with its bearings. If there is runout in the bearings, you'll see it more with the extender.
Due to the added distance between the cutter and the lower bearing, side loads on the bit will have added leverage which will accelerate bearing wear.
There are a few longer shank router bits available. Magnate makes some of those. Problem is, a long shank isn't any better than these extenders in regards to the above.
The benefit of the extenders is that it might prevent someone from short-chucking their router bit. Now, that is dangerous!
Joe wrote:>I see someone is advertising a 2 1/2" bit exender for 1/2' shank router

Haven't tried one, but is that the one in MLSC's (or CS's) catalogue? There's a small testimonial written under it professing "no discernable whip", or something along those lines. It's around 25 bucks. Tom Work at your leisure!

Wear a leather apron.
I have one of the MCLS extenders. It is indispensible, but you do have to be careful to chuck it deep into the router collet and there is some added vibration over what it would be without the extension. What surprised me was that there is no offset wrench available to reach the nut in the table (like CMT makes for various routers). I made one myself and it sure helps me change bits.
I bought one a year ago from MLCS and have used it a couple of times without any problem. However, I make sure to use the minimum RPM's based on the bit size. I am a little anxious when I use it and tend to use it only for making tongues on rails & stiles and have tried it with a window sash bit. I have not been able to raise these high enough with my setup without the extension.
Interestingly Rob Lee of Lee Valley has indicated to me that he is concerned his liability insurance would shoot sky high if they carried them, no surprise there.
Cheers,