Router bit comparisons

Page 2 of 2
resrfglc wrote:

I will if JOAT will.

Should we follow your lead?
RayV wrote:

I skimmed the first and don't find it particularly damming in the way you seem to feel...
It _is_, of course, a free market and advertisers are consequently free to choose where and how they spend their advertising dollar. Publishers have to decide what is significant to them. Unfortunately, what happens far too often (and seemed in the instances I read in the above article to be mostly the case) is that the zealous reporter is out to make a scandal in order to create a "name" for himself as much or more than to really report an actual problem. Not that there aren't legitimate issues to be raised in many of these stories, but I read far too many that are so obviously based on a particular preconceived opinion that the actual story is so biased in its presentation as to be nearly fiction.
dpb wrote:

I agree with you on that. One of the biggest frauds the media pushes is abortion. Look at the second question of the CNN poll from Aug-Sep 2006 (skip over the blatantly obvious push poll from Newsweek) http://www.pollingreport.com/abortion.htm Around 24% (+/- 4.5) have strong feelings on either side of the issue, yet every four years the media pushes this as the defining issue for the election. Meanwhile we have Byrd and Stevens robbing us blind.
RayV wrote:

Add to that (as did the FWW review someone else already posted a link to) a comparative measure of cut quality for sample cuts and number of feet before seeing any notable degradation, etc., etc., ...

For at least one, it certainly does -- you can rely on Amana to ALWAYS be absolute top quality. After them, Whiteside and CMT will run a very close race for "value" and will rarely, if ever, disappoint.
Only when you go to the "no-name" importers imo are you going to have much variability from one to another, and then, imo, you still take a chance that from one time you buy a bit from a particular distributor there's no guarantee the next time they're using the same supplier so I really only think the comparative tests have any validity for the "name" manufacturers or for a very short time-duration for the others.
All, of course, imo, ymmv, $0.02, etc., etc., ... :)
What you can look for in cutter quality: http://patwarner.com/routerbits.html ******************************************************************* RayV wrote:

: You will rarely, if ever, see an article or expose' that reflects the : auto industry in a negative way on either TV or in local paper.
Sure you will. Read car reviews. Read the business section. Etc.
: Does the same hold true for router bits?
Your premise about cars is false.
: Almost every issue of the mags I get have THE ULTIMATE power tool : comparison. Every once in a while they will throw in a TS blade : comparsion. I don't ever recall seeing a router bit comparison.
Why do you think router bit makers would have so much more power over editor than tablesaw, blade, router, or jigsaw makers?
Fine Woodworking did one a few years ago, using straight bits in melamine. Ratings were based at least partially on amount of chipout. Other than that, I don't recall having seen one either.
Many articles are submitted by readers. So, why don't you design a test for router bits, subm,it the proposal to a good mag, and see what happens?
    -- Andy Barss
I saw one article in one of my mags, don't remember which. They only rated carbide bits, If I remember right. They explored the type and amount of carbide per bit, runout, how many ft. at what depth of cut before dulling/burning....some other criteria, too. They rated some edgers and some straight and spiral bits. I believe CMT came out on top for the best overall. Amana and MCLS were up there, too. I believe that the "Best Buy" category was given to Freud.
I see many, many aticles about different TS blades and a few about BS blades.
As for autos, there is a plethora of bad press regarding any of the big 3 autos. As with tools, I buy the vehicle that suits my needs. I refuse to allow the press to sway my decisions....in any area......including router bits.
Gene