Router bit comparisons

(Doug Miller) wrote in

The 60's Mustangs were manufactured before the 70's Pinto's.

Reply to
Leon

Not always. Wood mag did a glue comparison test and showed that TB II did better than TB III in wet applications. That is when many people discovered that TB III is merely water resistant by testing standards vs. the advertised Water proof. In Franklins eyes, Water Resistant and Water Proof is the same thing. I can assure you that Franklin was not happy with that article as indicated by their e-mail sent to me addressing that test. They also sent me a case of TB III glue to prove to me that it was good glue. It is good glue but not Waterproof.

Reply to
Leon

Should we follow your lead?

Reply to
Leon

I saw one article in one of my mags, don't remember which. They only rated carbide bits, If I remember right. They explored the type and amount of carbide per bit, runout, how many ft. at what depth of cut before dulling/burning....some other criteria, too. They rated some edgers and some straight and spiral bits. I believe CMT came out on top for the best overall. Amana and MCLS were up there, too. I believe that the "Best Buy" category was given to Freud.

I see many, many aticles about different TS blades and a few about BS blades.

As for autos, there is a plethora of bad press regarding any of the big

3 autos. As with tools, I buy the vehicle that suits my needs. I refuse to allow the press to sway my decisions....in any area......including router bits.

Gene

RayV wrote:

Reply to
DZIN

"Leon" wrote in news:I7bih.24526$wc5.18415 @newssvr25.news.prodigy.net:

THOSE blew up, too? I was thinking of the Mustang II, a real disappointment of a design, as I recall.

The mid-60's designed Mustangs were an object of admiration, but for me, it was a somewhat distant admiration. We were pretty much a GM household. ;-)

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

It was probably FWW but could've been American Woodworking Journal (or some combination of those three words). The evaluations included the easily measured values - diameter, thickness of carbide, runout etc. AND quality of cut - for one type of bit. Using a CNC machine - on melamine, they routed a groove of a specific depth using a specific feed rate, for a specific number of cuts for a specific length. The tester then examined the cuts, counting the number of visible chip outs, how far along they began and some subjective evaluated point at which the chip out was bad enough to be unacceptable. The bit's cutting diameter was measured again after it had cut a hundred or so lineal (or it could be linear) feet to get some quantitative info on wear and tear.

If I recall, Whiteside performed the best. Not surprising - at least to me - Whiteside doesn't use a "special colored anti-stick coating" (read "product differentiation technique") like the Yellow Guys, the Orange Guys or the Red Guys.

Whichever magazine did the article/evaluation does some pretty well thought out tests which eliminate much of the "skill and technique" stuff that also influences the results. A bandsaw blade test for resawing used a weight wired to the stock and a pulley to get a consistent feed pressure. They used Time To Complete The Cut as one of their evaluation criteria, along with measured surface roughness of the cut surface. Seemed overkill but thorough as hell. Not up to manufacturing quality control testing but adequate for indicating which blades sucked, which were adequate and which worked very well - the stuff most of us want to know.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Yeah it was a Pinto with Mustang badges. Ford has gone back to the old style with the latest model, I hope they have sense to not reproduee the II on the next model change.

Yeah, GM afforded me the opportunity to retire at 40.

Reply to
Leon

What about the mustang wagon they may make?

RayV