Router bit choice for panel slots in stiles...

The cabinet I'm working on calls for a 1/4" slot in the stiles & rails for the panels. I'm planning to cut them using my router with either a slotting bit freehand or using a straight bit and the fence on my router table.
I'm leaning in favor of using the table, but was curious whether there are pros/cons either way that I'd only figure out by screwing up the first time...
--
I was punching a text message into my | Reed Snellenberger
phone yesterday and thought, "they need | GPG KeyID: 5A978843

cyrille de Brebisson wrote:

Thanks -- I hadn't considered that combination, although I'd ruled out trying to use the straight bit and do the slots freehand. :-)
--
I was punching a text message into my | Reed Snellenberger
phone yesterday and thought, "they need | GPG KeyID: 5A978843
Reed Snellenberger wrote:

How about the slotting bit in the table?
B A R R Y wrote:

Thanks -- that's exactly what I'm going to do...
--
I was punching a text message into my | Reed Snellenberger
phone yesterday and thought, "they need | GPG KeyID: 5A978843

You might want to reconsider and use the table saw instead. I cut those slots many years ago and graduated to using the TS. Much faster, quieter, easier to make exactly the width you need and easy to hit dead center if you need that.
Leon wrote:

It makes sense (the original plans use dado blades for most of this), but I don't have a table saw (or have room for one, at the moment).
--
I was punching a text message into my | Reed Snellenberger
phone yesterday and thought, "they need | GPG KeyID: 5A978843

Yeah that would be a problem.. :~)