Router Bit Brands?

Hi Guys,
I'm fairly new to woodworking. I would like to know what are some of the better router bits. I don't want to spend money on bits that don't last.
Also, I am looking for a belt sander. A store here has two makita's. One is a 9921 for $219.00 and a 9902 for $166.00. My old crapsman took a crap while building an entertainment center for our TV and VHS, DVD, Sat. reciever.........etc. Any words of wit will be greatly appreciated. Remove x from email name if responding that way.
Thanks in advance. Tim
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 06:28:15 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.comCrawled out of the shop and said. . .:

Jesada, CMT, Whiteside, Freud...all fine choices. AFAIK, the Whiteside line is made in the USA if that has any bearing on the subject of bits. . .
Traves *pun intended*
And so is Jasada. JG
"Traves W. Coppock" wrote:

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 06:08:01 -0400, JGS
see below...i mentioned Jesada first thing
Traves

I wonder if he was referring to your comment about the Whiteside being made in the USA and saying that "so is Jesada"?
Hmmm. I wonder.
out of the

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 06:17:27 -0400, JGS

My bad,,,was a late night
Traves :)
Some tips on what to look for here: http://www.patwarner.com/routerbits.html . ***********************************************

good bits: CMT, Amana, Bosch, Whiteside, Freud
crappy bits: Viper, Woodline
dave
snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com wrote:

Whiteside, Freud

I recently read Fine Woodworking's article on router bits:
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00045.asp
I am posting this with a warning. BUY GOOD BITS!
I only use Freud and Whiteside bits because experience has shown me you get what you pay for. After reading the above article, I purchased some Oldham Viper bits and very nearly cut more than wood (do a search on this group for Viper Bits and WoodChuck34 to get more detail).
You may save 5 or 6 bucks if you buy cheaper bits, but I haven't thrown out any Freuds or Whitesides after one job.
Chuck
Tim,
The following all make good bits:
Whiteside <http://www.whitesiderouterbits.com/ Jesada <http://www.jesada.com/ Amana <http://www.amanatool.com/ Ridge Carbide Liberty <http://www.ridgecarbidetool.com/ Eagle-America <http://www.eagle-america.com/ CMT <http://www.cmtusa.com/ Freud <http://www.freudinc.com/ Paso-Robles Ocemco Her-Saf <http://www.hersaf.com/ MLCS <http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/ Oldham <http://www.oldham-usa.com/ Velepec LRH <http://www.lrhent.com /
Andy