Router applications?

I have a 1/4" square rod (Delrin). I need to cut a 1/16" to 1/8" wide groove down the center of one side, maybe 1/8" deep. So the end view of the square rod would look like a U. Will any ordinary router do that? I've never used a router. Thanks.
--
The first big front wheel rollerblades.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/2565924423 /

Yes, any ordinary router will do that (if equipped with a bit of the proper size) -- but NOT if used freehand. 1/4" square is far too small, and Delrin much too flexible, to have any hope of freehanding that safely or accurately. You'll need to either mount the rounter in a router table and move the rod past the bit (as opposed to clamping the rod in place and moving the router), or devise some sort of fixture to hold the rod rigidly in place, and guide the router along it.

edges, I'd read the instructions for using a router first, then try it all out on a piece of pine or MDF (watch the noxious dust!). Gaining a little experience before using it on something valable will pay off. Or do you have a lot of Delrin to play with?
--
Best regards
Han

Harbor Freight sells a mini-table saw for about $50. I'd use that rather than mess with a router, it just seems the router is too powerful and too big to do that.
You might be able to purchase a rod with the profile you want. Most hobby shops would carry it in 12" lengths, but you could probably special order longer. These are usually a styrene rod, and not Delrin.
Puckdropper

John Doe wrote:

An ordinary router could be used to do the job, but it would be easier (and perhaps safer if you've never used a router before) to do the job on a table saw with a featherboard, a hold-down, and a push stick.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

I'd be concerned that a router would heat the Delrin and make a mess. My thought would be to use that saw that Puckdropper suggested.
Be sure to set it up properly and use a push stick to keep your fingers out of the way. I'd probably make a 1/4 x 1/4 groove in a board, set the Delrin into it, then push the board over the saw blade.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Good solution.
--

dadiOH

I'd make and use a scratch stock and have the job done long before I'd have a router jig made and adjusted. As a novice router user you're just begging for pain with this as a first project. Instructions here for a scratch stock: http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/Community/QADetail.aspx?id &507
Art
"John Doe" wrote ...

Nice thought about using a scratch stock, but you'd play hell trying to make a cutter that'll work in delrin. For cutting delrin, you need quite a bit of power or a very sharp, positive rake cutter to make a non-chatter-y cut...and to keep from gouging in with the sharp rake, you need some sort of cut limiter.
Mike

I haven't tried cutting delrin this way but many other plastics have cut just fine with a scratch stock. I assumed, maybe wrongly, that this small a cut in delrin wouldn't be that difficult. Especially as a scratch stock is used like a plane and takes off a little bit with each pass. It is normally used with a negative rake angle so I bow to your expertise here. Proper positioning of the cutter in the wooden handle allows the handle to be both the depth limiter and a fence. Art
"The Davenport's" wrote>