Router and Table

I am sure this has been covered before, but I want to buy a router and a table top table (if that makes sense) I am relatively new to wood working. I don't mind spending a little extra money for a tool if it is one I am going to use a lot, or for a tool that I want accuracy. The router will be be only used on the stand. Any help or past experiences would be appreciated. Mind you I don't want to spend a lot of money, I am thinking in the $300 range. Thank you, Jerry

I would spend the entire $300 range budget on the router and make my own router table.
My router:(more than enough power to spin the large bits) http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID 69
If you have a table saw you can usually build an extension on one side to support your router table.
See mine here:
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/router_page.htm
--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com
Hey, Stoutman, when I "have a peek underneath" on your website, it says your 7518 only has 2.25 HP. You just being modest? I'm just noticing... Tom Stoutman wrote:

That's about right.

if it is too much trouble to make, and you buy, it might not be evident in looking at a table that it is cheese. It isn't hard to make one. Its the solidity of the final product.
If you bought a flat piece of anything, say a 2'x2' 3/4" mdf, and put of these things on it, and clamped it, and mounted a router solid that didn't budge under it with screws, you're done for that type of setup. Its the fidgety, weebledy, woobledy of cheaper units. For this example it is easy to cut some triangles of wood on a crosscut table to attach to a L fence inside like L\. This is actually a large part. Cheap out and its over, too late. Added time and aggrevation.
http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/product10?&NMCLASS 104&NSBCLASS    000&NETID44431207061258117
you don't need these for this, but for o/ things also
-
I use Birch (3/4" eguiv) glued/tacked plywood versions of these things, narrower and longer, with a single centered L\ brace. For gluing up drawers using clamps. They also allow checking 90 degree angles for picture frames etc. The accuracy in use is astonishing.
-
Others on here will probably tell you to build your own. When first starting out, it is difficult to build something as good as what you can buy, specially now that manufacturers are putting out better tables. One I have seen that I rather liked was the new Bosch. Go here: http://www.toolbarn.com/product/bosch/RA1171 / Be aware though that this is a closed design meant to be used with a shop vac or dust collector. If not used with one, the router will overheat. If you don't want to use a shop vac (I would, it makes it so much nicer) you could probably take the door off. For a router, put a Porter Cable 690 in it. It will do most anything you want to do though, due to limited power, you may have to take more cuts to get there. In the event that you want more power in the future, the 690 is a very good router for hand held use. $170.00 for the table, $140.00 for the router. Just slightly over your budget for a quality set up. You may find, as I have, that putting the router table on a bench places it to high for comfortable use. Useable but better a bit lower. Some plywood and a few screws will make a good stand. Get fancier if you want.

CW wrote: > Others on here will probably tell you to build your own. When first starting > out, it is difficult to build something as good as what you can buy, > specially now that manufacturers are putting out better tables. <snip>
SFWIW:
I built the NYW router table outside in SoCal with only a couple of saw horses, a jig saw, a router, an aluminum angle with a couple of C-Clamps, a 1/4 sheet sander, and a drill press.
Had to buy a couple of router and a couple of drill bits along with the hardware Norm spec'd.
That was 6-8 years ago, and it is still in service.
Biggest part of the job was to remember not to rush.
Lew
CW wrote:

I built my own from a chunk of old countertop and ideas from plans online, and it works well enough. I'm on my second fence, though - somehow the particleboard on the first one warped pretty badly.

That looks like a pretty good deal. If you want a larger table, Rockler has one (without a base) for about the same price: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID 4&TabSelecttails I definitely wouldn't want a table any smaller than the one on the Bosch.

I have a Dewalt DW618 (only slightly higher claimed hp than the PC) and I haven't found it to be underpowered for anything yet. The best deal I've seen on a router recently is at Woodcraft - they have the PC 690 on sale for $110, or $99 with their 10% off deal this Saturday. http://www.woodcraft.com//family.aspx?familyidW79&HomePageDeal=True
Have fun and stay safe, Andy
CW wrote:

I think a relative newbie can build a table like Stoutman's. I had never used a router in my life and built a very similar version in about three hours, including a routed mitre slot and semi-sacrifiial T-slotted split fence (mounted to the TS fence). One difference, I did not use a plate but mounted the router directly in the table. That's the only real flaw. Since I have so little time invested in it, I won't mind tossing it and spending another three hours to make one with melamine and the router plate.
You are correct that it won't be quite as nice as a purchased unit, but I really enjoyed the learning experience and the cost was negligible since I used scraps for almost everything.
Tom
Get this Porter Cable router set:
http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?eT7&pH58 ($200)
and make the cabinet for under $100 worth of plywood(birch)
http://www.twistedknotwoodshop.com/rtdrawings.htm
You can't really set up a router and table for $300 in my opinion but you can be really close.
or
(Amazon.com product link shortened)65526783/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/103-1508138-4463063?ie=UTF8&s=hi
with this router:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)65526884/ref=sr_1_3/103-1508138-4463063?ie=UTF8&s=hi