Rousseau router plate UPDATE

It almost drove me nuts. I hated that crown.

Darrell

Reply to
Darrell Dorsey

Yeah your right it's a rectangle not a square.

I'm not sure how else to 'dumb down' the explanation for this problem.

Maybe there is someone out there that knows what I'm talking about (for the love of GOD I hope so...) that could explain it better.

I give up... I ordered the woodpecker tonight ($80 + $45 in the hole).

Reply to
stoutman

Its the comment,

This could also be explained as "sagging downward toward the edges", that is tough to understand.

I could easily understand/picture sagging downward AWAY from the edges. Sagging downward TOWARDS the edges sounds like it is high in the middle.

Reply to
Leon

Ah, ok.

Let me try again. It's sagging NEAR the edges DOWNWARD. As you move from left to right or right to left, the sagging deminishes.

Reply to
stoutman

I'm going to type this real slow so you have a chance of understanding it. What does the word "sag" mean to you? To most of the English speaking world it means to droop or be lower than the rest of whatever.

Now, when you say sagging downward (redundant, by the way), and the article in question is supported by its edges (you did mount the plate by the edges, didn't you?) it can only sag in the middle. It cannot "sag downward toward the edges."

Because the insert is mounted by the edges, they, by definition, are not able to move. They are "mounted." The only parts that can move downward (sag) are the parts away from the edges. Sag downward toward the edges can only mean sag upward in the middle. Are you Australian? Maybe that's why your insert is sagging up.

Yes, I would very much like to see a fixed object (the edges) that sags.

I have this feeling that we're in a separate but parallel conversation, but I keep rereading your descriptions and I just don't see how.

By the way, I withdraw my offer. I don't want a router plate that sags up.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

LRod you need to get out more often bud.

The router plate is bending Near the edges in a downward direction.

Believe it or not. I dont give a f--k.

Reply to
stoutman

Do you remember typing this ?

LRod: "You mean sagging upward in the middle where the weight of the router is? "

How can you tell me its redundant ? When you yourself wrote it? I felt i needed to spell everything out for you.

LRod: "Now, when you say sagging downward (redundant, by the way), "

The router plate is bending, flexing, curving, bowing, sagging (choose your own) in a downward direction close to the left and right side, edge, of the router plate. O my god, it cant be? I know this is really hard for you to believe. My objective here is not to describe fictitious events and try and see how many people I can lure in.

Reply to
stoutman

ah, sorta kinda lika square pie pan turned upside down.

Reply to
Leon

Kinda, but it only does it along two of the short lenghts. No sagging along the longer sides of the rectangle. I really think it has nothing to do with the weight of the router. I think it is deffective.

If this is a property of the crown that is designed into the plate (which i dont think it is) than I wish I never bought this POS.

It doesnt really matter anymore. I ordered the woodpecker Al plate. Im gonna use the other one to make jigs or a coaster or something :)

Reply to
stoutman

i take that back. I looked at it again and does sag along all lengths. Just like a pie pan upside down. Maybe this is due to the crown that is designed into the plate. I dont think I like that. Still glad i have the woodpecker on order.

Reply to
stoutman

Now that I think about it, pie pan analogy is not a good one.

Posted pics on ABPW.

Reply to
stoutman

You're not kidding!! I just did some sliding dovetails and it totally screwed everything up for me. I can't tell you how pissed off I am about this. Wish I had started with aluminum to begin with.

I'm going to try and flatten it in the mill end at work, but if that doesn't work it goes in the garbage and I'll get an aluminum one to replace it.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Idaho