Rousseau router plate UPDATE

Page 2 of 2

I'm going to type this real slow so you have a chance of understanding it. What does the word "sag" mean to you? To most of the English speaking world it means to droop or be lower than the rest of whatever.
Now, when you say sagging downward (redundant, by the way), and the article in question is supported by its edges (you did mount the plate by the edges, didn't you?) it can only sag in the middle. It cannot "sag downward toward the edges."

Because the insert is mounted by the edges, they, by definition, are not able to move. They are "mounted." The only parts that can move downward (sag) are the parts away from the edges. Sag downward toward the edges can only mean sag upward in the middle. Are you Australian? Maybe that's why your insert is sagging up.

Yes, I would very much like to see a fixed object (the edges) that sags.
I have this feeling that we're in a separate but parallel conversation, but I keep rereading your descriptions and I just don't see how.
By the way, I withdraw my offer. I don't want a router plate that sags up.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
LRod you need to get out more often bud.
The router plate is bending Near the edges in a downward direction.
Believe it or not. I dont give a f--k.

Do you remember typing this ?
LRod: "You mean sagging upward in the middle where the weight of the router is? "
How can you tell me its redundant ? When you yourself wrote it? I felt i needed to spell everything out for you.
LRod: "Now, when you say sagging downward (redundant, by the way), "
The router plate is bending, flexing, curving, bowing, sagging (choose your own) in a downward direction close to the left and right side, edge, of the router plate. O my god, it cant be? I know this is really hard for you to believe. My objective here is not to describe fictitious events and try and see how many people I can lure in.

Seems that you would end up with stepped tennons if you had to make more than 1 pass and moved the fence. And, if the plate bows up, how much trouble is it to insure that when you bolt it up to the router that the bit is perpendicular to the fence? I just replaced an old 3/8" thick Lexan plate that a Bosch 1611 had been hanging from for about 3 years. I retired the Big Bosch and mounted a Triton on the opposite side. 8 months later the plate sags enough that a folded piece of 20# paper easily slides under a straight edge. I had not noticed the sag until I started seeing stepped tennons. How much does the Rousseau bow up?
wrote:> Are you aware that the Rousseau is built with a slight crown to ensure

It almost drove me nuts. I hated that crown.
Darrell

You're not kidding!! I just did some sliding dovetails and it totally screwed everything up for me. I can't tell you how pissed off I am about this. Wish I had started with aluminum to begin with.
I'm going to try and flatten it in the mill end at work, but if that doesn't work it goes in the garbage and I'll get an aluminum one to replace it.
Mike

it
gotten
My PC 7518 has been hanging under my Rousseau for about 6 months now and no signs of any deflection.
-- Al Reid
Should I bring it back? Not sure they will take it back now that I drilled it out.

Take the router off and remove the plate from the table. Lay a straight edge across it and see if it is warped.
If it is, I would take it back and try to exchange it.
-- Al Reid

Already
set

See my post elsewhere describing the slight crown that Rousseau builds into their plates to ensure that the router bit is at the highest point in the assembly.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

Drilling it is a requirement and you would not see a warp until the weight is applied and used. It would be hard to test it with out mounting the router. They should have no problem with exchanging for another one.

How would have known it would warp or bow had you not hung the router on it. Take it back.