Rousseau router plate UPDATE

Page 1 of 2
Mounted my PC 7518 in the Rousseau plate in my new router table. Already see deflection on the outside edges when I place a straight edge along the width of the plate. Im not sure if the plate was defective before I set it up or not. Its been mouted with the router for 24 h.
I would return this thing but I already drilled it out for my router.
Think im gonna order a benchdoh aluminum plkate ($80.00). Should of gotten it to begin with.
Well, the router should be removed when not in use to prevent sag. Your router motor is a heavy one. Removing it is easy as it just screws out. The Rousseau plate is slightly convex to compensate for the router weight, but not for continuous suspension.

I think thats what i wil do for now, but I might put in an order for the woodpecker Al plate. Its just a little pricey $80, but it comes predrilled.

For those of us who have light wallets and are also tightwads, consider buying a plate and making it yourself. I have a metal fab place not far from me that stocks all manner of metal and when they cut metal plate on their shears - they are very accurate. Won't take long to drill the holes. Bet you could build 2 plates for less than $25.

And worth every penny. You'll love it.
Darrell
Check out the woodpecker plate - it is 3/8" AL plate.
Thanks, Thats actually what I meant, woodpecker not benchdog. I think the saw dust is effecting my synapses. :)

Why, the Benchdog is a fine plate? What is important is the size since you already made a cut out.

I don't think you're seeing plate deflection. When I put my router table in storage I left my M12V hanging on the Rousseau in the table. There wasn't a scintilla of deflection when I took it out. So you say the M12V is no 7518? Okay, I'll give you that. The table was in storage for FIVE YEARS. I am unconvinced you're seeing plate deflection in less than, what, 24 hours? 48 at the outside? Uh-uh.

My offer from before still stands:
Send it to me. I love my Rousseaus. No reason not to have another one, even though it's been defaced, reducing its sale value to zero.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Like I said, not sure if it was defective before I set it up with my router. The plat is definitely has some curvature in the midle of the plate more towards the endges of the plate. It is sagging downward at the edges. Could of been that way before I set it up. I never put a straight edge against it until after it was supporting my router.

Sagging downward at the edges? You mean sagging upward in the middle where the weight of the router is? I think that defies the laws of physics.
Are you aware that the Rousseau is built with a slight crown to ensure that the router bit is at the highest point in the plate. Drives some people nuts, but makes perfect sense to me.
Anyway, the physics defying phenomenon you describe sounds like the inherent crown. The Rousseau plate just does not sag from router weight.
Once again, my offer stands...
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Hey LRod,
Like I said in my OP "Already see deflection on the outside edges when I place a straight edge along the width of the plate" Not sure how else to get you to understand this problem. Let me spoon feed it to ya. Picture a square router plate. Now place a straight edge along the TOP of the plate near the edge. In the center of the straight edge you could place 2-3 playing cards underneath. This could also be explained as "sagging downward toward the edges". How does that defy physics? This newsgroup is only accessed from Earth right? What physics do you have going on in your workshop?
Yes I am aware of the crown, which as I understand it does not include sagging at the edges.
"The Rousseau plate just does not sag from router weight."
Ok, than LIKE I SAID TWICE BEFORE, maybe it was defective when I bought it.
Should I take a picture of it with the straight edge on top and post it in ABPW? Or will you claim that my staright edge needs to be calibrated?

Well my Rousseau is a rectangle. It has 4 edges and 4 corners. So are you saying that on the 12" long top of the plate has a dip but the bottom 12" side does not have a dip? Well all of that should not have happened if your 1.5" thick tabletop is flat and you routed it a consistent depth. Next step would be to take out your calipers and measure the plate where it rests in the routed section.
I did not notice and crown in my plate until someone mentioned it. It routes fine. What more can ask? Of course my Bosch 1604 does not weigh that much. My 1611 weighs over 13 lbs so I would guess the 1604 might weigh 10 lbs.
Oh, take a picture. I do not have any clue what you are talking about.

Yeah your right it's a rectangle not a square.
I'm not sure how else to 'dumb down' the explanation for this problem.
Maybe there is someone out there that knows what I'm talking about (for the love of GOD I hope so...) that could explain it better.
I give up... I ordered the woodpecker tonight ($80 + $45 in the hole).

Its the comment,
This could also be explained as "sagging downward toward the edges", that is tough to understand.
I could easily understand/picture sagging downward AWAY from the edges. Sagging downward TOWARDS the edges sounds like it is high in the middle.
Ah, ok.
Let me try again. It's sagging NEAR the edges DOWNWARD. As you move from left to right or right to left, the sagging deminishes.

ah, sorta kinda lika square pie pan turned upside down.
Kinda, but it only does it along two of the short lenghts. No sagging along the longer sides of the rectangle. I really think it has nothing to do with the weight of the router. I think it is deffective.
If this is a property of the crown that is designed into the plate (which i dont think it is) than I wish I never bought this POS.
It doesnt really matter anymore. I ordered the woodpecker Al plate. Im gonna use the other one to make jigs or a coaster or something :)

i take that back. I looked at it again and does sag along all lengths. Just like a pie pan upside down. Maybe this is due to the crown that is designed into the plate. I dont think I like that. Still glad i have the woodpecker on order.

Now that I think about it, pie pan analogy is not a good one.
Posted pics on ABPW.