Rousseau router plate in the trash

Page 1 of 2
Couldnt line up the dam holes when drilling it out for my PC 7518. I trashed it. Ooops. Think im gonna get a predrilled router table blate next time.
Did you use the install guide kit? The Bosch kit has 4 pointy srcews you thread into the router base that you thump to make marks on the plate. Think of it as a 4x center punch. the kit also comes with a centering guide so your router ends up in the middle of the plate. If you screw up you just try again. There should be enough space on the plate to try 3 times.

stoutman wrote:

Dig that little puppy out of the trash and use it as a template to trim a piece of 1/4" lexan you get from your local plastics remnant bin to make a replacement.
Probably get enought lexan to make a couple of inserts for a few $.
BTW, 1/4" sheet plastic such as lexan is a great material for making jigs.
Lew
Yes it is but I wouldn't make a router plate from it. It WILL sag.

CW wrote:

HUH!
How big a plate are you making?
Something like a 10x12 with a typical PC type router certainly shouldn't be a problem for a 1/4" thick piece of lexan.
Lew

I have a Bench Dog router table and HAD a 3/8" thick Lexan plate and my Triton made it sag enough that folded 20# paper could easily be slipped under a straight edge in the middle. I had not suspected any sag until tennons cut in 2 passes were coming out stepped. For about 2 years a large Bosch had been hanging from the other side of the plate with no sag. Last week I switched to a 3/8" thick phenolic plate.
Leon wrote:

That is good skinny, I had no idea.
Thank you.
Lew
Sag is a concern - is 1/4" aluminum plate thick enough or should I go to 3/8".
Also trying to figure out how to really anchor down an insert to reduce the opening for larger bits - it maybe just as easy to build 2 different plates - one for large bits and the other for small.
Can't believe how pricey the sliding miter gauges are - paying $100+ for one of those is obscene - any suggestions?
thanks

Or get one of these: http://www.woodpeck.com/aluminsert.html Darrell
Thanks - Woodpecker uses 3/8" aluminum plate - that is what I will use and do it with 2 plates - hate to think what would happen to a bit if a home made insert got into the bit - hear a big bang - not fun.
You would be fine with 1/4" aluminum.

I have a PC 7539 hanging on a 1/4" plate with no sag. Darned router has got to weigh near twenty pounds. http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?eT7&p (22 Greg
Here's what I did to install my Hitachi M12V in my Rousseau plate.
On the lathe, I turned a stepped spindle. One end I turned exactly 1/2". The other end I turned to match the smallest hole (ring) in the rousseau plate (I forget what the diameter was). Chucked this little beauty in my router, dropped the plate over it and that sucker wouldn't budge. While it was clamped in place (to prevent slippage), I used a scribe to outline the base of the router on the bottom of the baseplate. The M12V has one straight edge on the base, which helped, but wasn't necessary to make this method work. Then, unclamped everything and lined up the M12V subbase on the scribed line, clamped in place and marked hole locations. Went to the drill press, Bob's your uncle, and everything lined up perfectly. Hope this helps for your next try.
Joe C.

next
Some us don't have lathes. We want one but don't have one...yet.
Got mine as an 10th anniv gift from SWMBO. Love playing around on it (the lathe), but sometimes wish that it was cheaper than, say, collecting planes....

Never Enough Money wrote:

And your point is?
Lew
We need to come up with some good reason besides plain ole' "turning" (for SWMBO's):
Like, let's see...
"It can be used to polish the silver around holidays"
"If we need a salad bowl in a pinch..."
"Wood lamp? Sure honey...no problem...o"
I have nothing else. Need help. Want a lathe sitting in my shop. Don't know why, just want one.
(Turning, turning, turning..."Rawhide" - err...guess that's "rolling, rolling, rolling...)
Dating myself,
Lou

Why? My wife has asked a couple of time, "why don't you have a lathe?"
I just have to warn you. Turning can be very addictive. I thought I spent an hour turning, and 5 hours passed by. I probably spent too much $ on my lathe, the accessories can quickly add up.

Send it to me. I love my Rousseaus. No reason not to have another one, even though it's been defaced, reducing its sale value to zero.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net