Rounding over Dowells

G'day all, This is a fishing expedition with very little bait. I'm looking for a device that rounds over the ends of dowels. I'm sure I've seen something that looks like cup on a shaft, with cutting surfaces inside. Place it in a drill and Bob's your Auntie Does any such beast exist and if it does could someone point me in it's direction. At the moment I use either the belt or disk sander to but a chamfer on exposed ends however a rounded tip would be much more pleasing. Looking froward to replys, if any. All the best John
John B wrote:

Something like this might work:
http://www.binkyswoodworking.com/PegTip.htm
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
no(SPAM)vasys wrote:

Interesting and novel Idea Jack. I may just give it a shot. thanks John
no(SPAM)vasys wrote:

This is the same way I did it once.
no(SPAM)vasys said:

Yeabut how do you keep that nice shape intact after pounding them into the hole with a large hammer? ;-)
Greg G.
John B wrote:

<snip>
I use a disk sander along with a simple V-Block jig.
Lew

I can't remember where I got them. I have a set of "ballers" of several sizes that round off the ends of dowels. Just fit it on the end and twist by han until the end is rounded.

I can't remember where I got them. I have a set of "ballers" of several sizes that round off the ends of dowels. Just fit it on the end and twist by hand until the end is rounded.

I can't remember where I got them. I have a set of "ballers" of several sizes that round off the ends of dowels. Just fit it on the end and twist by hand until the end is rounded.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

Gattett Wade has these, at least they did in the catalog I received yesterday.
http://www.garrettwade.com /
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I got my set from AMT but they're still available here http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/browseproducts/Dowel-Baller-Set.HTML Joe
Do a search for a "doming tool". Garrettwade.com sell such a tool.
Oldun
G'day all, This is a fishing expedition with very little bait. I'm looking for a device that rounds over the ends of dowels. I'm sure I've seen something that looks like cup on a shaft, with cutting surfaces inside. Place it in a drill and Bob's your Auntie Does any such beast exist and if it does could someone point me in it's direction. At the moment I use either the belt or disk sander to but a chamfer on exposed ends however a rounded tip would be much more pleasing. Looking froward to replys, if any. All the best John
John B wrote:

1. Lathe
2. Chuck the dowel in a drill and turn it against coarse, rotating abrasive on a disk sander, drum sander, etc.
Neither way is easily repeatable if you need numerous dowels with rounded ends.
-- dadiOH ____________________________
John B wrote:

I just use a roundover bit in a router table. Carefully bring the dowel up against the bearing, then rotate the dowel. Use a start pin or the fence for support.
Stan
On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 00:45:47 GMT, John B

pencil sharpener.
skeez
skeezics wrote:

If your pencil sharpener is rounding over the ends of your pencils I think it's time for a new one.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

lol... just a touch cuts a nice relief around the end of a dowl.
skeez
Depending on the size (length) of the dowel, why not just chuck it in your drill press and touch it with some 60 grit?
jc

noonenparticular wrote:

Sometimes it's the simple things that escape us. Good idea. I'll give it a shot. Regards John
Thanks for all the input people. I think I'll order a Dowel Baller set and see how they work. Have saved links to some of the other ideas. Once again thanks heaps kind regards John