Round-nose bit burning

I recently tried putting flutes in some Red Oak using a 1/2" round-nosed bit and got lots of burning at the ends of the flutes - no matter how quickly I tried to back-off from the finish or start of the flutes. The flutes were only about 1/4"-3/8" deep, so I did them in one pass. Sanding all the ends was a real PITA, so is this typical or is there a solution? The bit was one that hadn't been used before.

TIA, Shawn in Moscow (Idaho that is) (reply in group please)

Reply to
Shawn

Shawn from my experience that is Typical from round nosed bits even in softer woods Sometimes you can alleviate it somwhat by doing a second cut and do not be slow in starting and stopping the longer the bit is at the start and stop positions the more burn you will get, and yes the sanding is a real bonifide ROYAL PITA

George

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

Shawn,

I'm going out on a limb here - and I've never tried this - but I seem to recall someone saying that when they made some flutes they wet the wood first (dampen, not sopping wet) on the last pass to alleviate the burning.

Now that sounds okay but never having done it, I guess I would try a few test pieces that were clamped down real good before attempting it on any good stock.

The more I think about it, I think I got that tip from the woodturning group. Give it a try, if it works or not, how about telling us the results.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.