Rough wood

Hiya all!
I've been lurking in this newsgroup for a little while now, and the caliber of wreckers in here is impressive. A wealth of information for guys like me, you folks have a great group here.
Fairly new to wood working as a hobby for me (well, I've expanded the shop dramatically to enable me to tackle much bigger projects). I've very recently added a surface planer and a jointer to the shop.
Wondering if anyone can help with better sources for "rough" stock in the "horseshoe" between the Grimsby to west Toronto, Ontario, Canada area? I'm building a new kitchen, and would like make my own shaker style maple doors, but good sources of quality stock seem to be pretty far and few between!
Anyone?
Thanks,
Kevin
Hi Kevin, I suggest that you ask that question on the forum below. It seems like there is a lot of posters in your are. Cheers, JG http://www.canadianwoodworking.com /
"K. Jones" wrote

Hi, Kevin.
Can only provide generalities here: 1)yellow-pages search for sawmills in region; then tour & talk. 2)yellow-pages search for tree companies; some of the more serious ones saw the better logs and will sell to you as flitches/rough-dimensioned. 3)whatever other search methods target the above.
Expect hardwood to be in "run-of-the-mill" lengths.
I've gotten some excellent bargains via the above, down here in New England.
HTH, John
<snip>

<snip>

Kevin:
Take a look at your local yellow pages and call your local cabinet shops and wood wrokers....ask them where they are buying? Who has the best quality? Who has the best prices? And you can you trust?
Good luck, Mike from American Sycamore
www.americansycamoreretreat.com
Kevin, try this link and click the GTA option in Ontario. There were probably close to 20 suppliers. If it doesn't work, e-mail me directly and I will mail you the list.
http://members.rogers.com/wsguthrie/suppliers.htm
Tony
Thanks everyone for the replies.
The links were great, again a wealth of information.
Thanks again,
Kevin

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 01:46:18 -0500, "K. Jones"

Do you Great White Northerners have a telephone book called the Yellow Pages up there? If so, look under "hardwood lumber" for stores in your area. Also, check with local pineywood lumber yards for their contacts.
-- Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ---- --Unknown