Rough Cutting for project

Hiya Folks, I'm about to start a new project that requires a number of spindles. These spindles should be 7/8" diameter at the largest points when completed. Now I'm not much of a turner so haven't had enough experience to know just what sort of size I should be cutting my blanks. I'm guessing they should probably be around 1 1/4" x 1 1/4" but not sure. Any inputs? For that matter, what do you all recommend in general for cutting lumber to rough size? I've typically added 1/2" or so to the width of pieces and an inch or so to the length but just curious what others do. Cheers, cc

Size depends on how you're holding them. If you're using a chuck to grip and drive and a cone center at the tail to center automatically, inch square is certainly enough. If you have to mark, punch and drive your centers, you can add an extra eighth for off-wedging.
If the pieces are of any length, make a steady or two to control center whip and squirm.

and I'm sure you'll get additional advice and tips, too.
--
Regards,