rough cut

Page 5 of 5
On Jan 31, 8:06pm, "John Grossbohlin"

Do you record the presentations you do? Any links to them to share? I'd love to see that.

You _had_ to bring that up! My #40 blade and lever cap went walkabout some while back. You haven't seen them by any chance, have you? ;)

There was a cameraman shooting but I don't know if it was recorded or just projected on the monitor.... . I'll have to ask!
No stray plane parts found today... had to move many of my stationary tools this evening and the only thing I found was a build up of saw dust underneath the cabinet saw that the dust collector missed. ;~)
John
Power tools are just an extension of the industrial revolution's aim to obviate operator skill in favor of cheap labor. There's also the question of cost in outfitting a shop. A complete joiner's shop back in the day fit in a 3'x2'x2' box. Now a guy figures he can't do any work unless he has ten grand in tools - to start. Journeymen carpenters walked around with a roll with their tools inside, often just the blades and bits, and made handles, benches and whatever else was needed on the spot.
We've gained some with power tools, but we've lost just as much because of them. I still wish that carpenters wore corduroy suits so we could see at a glance who was in the brotherhood.
It is very obvious, by the above, that you do not build things for a living.

This would be where you are wrong.
I design and build everything I do. I used to just design, when I was first starting out. Designing without building is just as bad as building without designing.
wrote in message

Such as?
You used a lot of words saying that you used power tools when having to make a living at it.

And more years figuring out that I didn't need to.

Well, I have been sick. Otherwise, I don't think I would have missed that chestnut.
I have made that argument many a time to the devoted *home woodworker*, but they don't get it.
You can be as dedicated, take as long as you want, and be as true to wood work as you think necessary to satisfy your inner Duncan Phyfe if you aren't charged with making a living doing it day in and day out in a hyper-competitive market.
Robert

We just found Rough Cut a week or so ago guys. We also watch Roy and Norm and other WW Shows.
Guys, the other night my wife said out loud "I like him," when I suggested watching Rough Cut.
But guys, his personality bugs me a bit guys as I, too, am most interested in techniques and know damned well that that jig took him more than five minutes to make.
Guys, I'd like to see a Woodworking On A Budget show where the host used his own shop worn equipment instead of the latest and greatest tools (available at WoodSmith & Company).

You forgot a few "look it"'s. I hope that's just the effect of 1st season jitters.
The Woodworking on a Budget show sounds interesting. The host is given a small budget every show (say $100) and must build his project for that. Leftover money accumulates for bigger purchases. You can do a lot very quickly for $100 in 2x4s.
Puckdropper

I just Recently watched my first episode of Rough Cut. My first reaction was who is this idiot? I then watched a few more episodes during the marathon on Create...
Tommy grew on me quickly, he's young and proud of his work. So what if he describes a nice piece of wood as "sweet"? Yes, some detail is left out but he only has 22 minutes or whatever TV is now. I also like his appreciation of old work and how he brings in people to help out. He doesn't need to act like he knows everything.
As one who worships at the altar of Norm I can remember the early shows when Norm all but dunked each part in glue and power nailed everything. But the best thing that Norm did for me was inspire me to buy a few pieces of wood and cut them up and try putting them back together as something useful. I hope Tommy Mac can stay on the air and maybe inspire a few more people to try hacking apart a piece of wood and building something with it.

Just got word from the keeper of the videos that he found no recording of my demo from last year's show...
Oh well... we tried!
John
On Feb 9, 10:18pm, "John Grossbohlin"
nk.net> wrote:

No record for posterity? I'm surprised that they don't keep all of the presentation videos, stick them on a DVD and sell them, or even just post them on a YouTube channel to attract more people to their shows. Thanks for asking, though.
There's a fair to middling chance that I might make it up to this year's show. If I say I know you, will they let me in for free or charge me extra? ;)

If you don't mention my name they'll let you in for the regular price... mention it and you may not get in! ;~)
There is, however, a discount coupon at http://www.nwawoodworkingshow.org /
If you come to the show look me up...!
John
On Feb 10, 6:09pm, "John Grossbohlin"

If I do, I definitely will. Thanks for the coupon link.